Though many people if not almost everyone makes New Year’s Resolutions. But I would dare say that over half do not keep them. With probably a third not making it through the first month. I can’t blame them for not keeping them though. I mean look at some of the most popular resolutions, they include; lose weight, make more money, exercise more, reduce stress, get a higher education, and many others that are frankly rather down right hard. Imagine if everyone set simpler easier resolutions for themselves, think of how many more resolutions would be kept. For example the following list:
1. Instead of losing weight why not gain it. So you say by July I want to have gained 10 pounds. The best part is that the way to attain this goal is enjoyable, eating. We all like to eat and it is something that we can easily do.
2. Spend $500 a month on what ever you want. Though this goal can be hard to keep track of, I have no doubt that everyone could easily dump $500 on themselves. So to make it a little easier to keep this goal just tell yourselves $500 dollars or more, that way you won’t have to write anything down to make sure you spend $500. Just spend like crazy and you will know you past your goal.
3. Increase your stress. Someone told me that planning is a good way to get ride of stress, but to my knowledge I don’t know anyone that likes to plan so this goal is also an easily attainable one. Just say yes to everyone that wants you to do something, or agree to everything and watch your stress level skyrocket. Who wants to take time and plan for all these things anyway? Just let life take its course. Throw some kids into the mix too, that ought to help with your stress level. Make it easier on yourself and don’t plan anything for them either that way they will be around you all the time.
4. Watch ten more hours of TV a day, or do other activities that don’t require any work. Exercising is such a waster of time, right? First you have to have the desire then you need to plan so that you have time to exercise. We know that planning is something that could possibly reduce stress therefore in order to keep the earlier goal you can’t do that. Then you have to decide on the activity you are going to do and where. That is all before you actually start exercising. When you are actually exercising you get sweaty, dirty, and gross. You would stay much cleaner doing nothing, right?
5. One of the easiest goals I can think of is sleeping in every morning until the time you want to get up. Is that not what everyone wants? Don’t set any alarms the night before and tell yourself when you wake up is when you are going to wake up. Sleep until noon if you feel like it.
6. If you are someone that doesn’t like their job then set a goal to get fired. Decide on specific things you could do to get fired from you job. The above goal would help out a lot. Sleeping until you want would mean showing up to work when you wanted and should be a good start to getting fired.
7. Procrastinate everything would be another simple easy goal to keep. I mean there are already a lot of people that have achieved this goal. If you don’t believe me just attend a high school or college class when an assignment is due and see how many of the kids put it off until the last minute. Wouldn’t it be nice to put of until tomorrow what you could do today? This at first might seem like becoming more stress free, but let me tell you when tomorrow comes this will also help your stress level skyrocket.
8. Many younger people and even some adults could set a goal to play more video games. Some might even what to make it a goal to play for a weak straight with out any sleep. Though this goal may be a little hard to attain for the amateur video gamer, but for the experienced one this should be a snap. Especially if you have attained some of the previous goals like getting fired from your job, you just might have all the time in the world.
9. Never finish school. What good is all that wasted time for anyways. All it does is cost a lot of money and how many people actually end up in the career field they studied.
10. Let others serve you could also be one of the easiest goals to attain. Just sit back and let others do everything for you. Though I would take caution with this goal if you have a wife it might not be the best idea.
Now wouldn’t those be easy to keep. I bet a lot more people would be keeping their resolutions if they had these types of goals. But, since we are not out to increase the percentage of kept resolutions I would rethink my goals and make them more challenging. The goals are on a personal level. Though the above goals might be what some people want I highly doubt any of them might make you happy. Personally I would strive to challenge myself this coming year. Happy New Year, and have fun setting some New Year’s Resolutions.