According to the U.S. Labor Department, 21 million people are working from home. With unemployment running rampant over the United States, more job seekers are beginning to use their skills, making money by freelancing. Although it seems like a monumental task, there are legitimate jobs online and from home which earn moderate salaries for those who want to work. Here are ten great ideas for people who want to work from home.
1. Freelance writing/editing – before you shy away from writing, everyone’s an expert at something and you can write about it. Write about anything, even your opinions. Here, your writing counts.
2. Translators – use your skills as an editor, translator or proofreader and get paid. There is an application process but it’s not difficult for those with this skill.
3. Blogger – Blogs are good starts for writers. Check out this article on The Digerati Life by Silicon Valley Blogger. To help with headlines, use online keyword searches to find the best keywords for your subject matter.
4. Repairman – Build a business by repairing items from your home from instruments to electronics. Advertise your services or look under Gigs on Craigslist. Either go to their place or make them come to you. Trade for broken equipment, you never know when you’ll need the parts. Finance them at 2% if they can’t pay now.
5. eBay – still a great source of income, eBay can make you a living. Bid on storage bins in your area, sell the items on eBay. Find out what people are trying to buy under the Help For Sellers tab. Remember, eBay is mostly customer driven.
6. Teachers – there are all kinds of opportunities for people to learn on-line. There are websites for conducting classes, colleges now use virtual classrooms. Homework help for college assignments and tutoring are available as a freelancer.
7. Musicians – tired of not getting paid as a musician? It’s time to send your posse out into the crowd and ask for your tips. Acoustic duos and one man shows are great for coffee houses. Ditch the band, play covers or originals. Record your own album at home and sell it at your shows.
8. Virtual Assistant – look for companies who employ virtual assistants by using the search engine. Go to their employment tab or join something like the International Virtual Assistants Association and offer your services.
9. Medical Transcriptionist – listening to doctor’s and transcribing what their saying into readable documents. If you think this is something you can do, talk to your own doctor and expand from there. You might even know someone at your church or club.
10. Call Center Representative – take customer service calls for companies with virtual offices. Apply to be a representative for the companies that have virtual call centers.