Unique hotels abroad run the gamut from ‘prisonesque’ to ‘ritzy’. Here are my top picks for unique hotels abroad. Check out the links for more information on these alternative lodging options.
1. The phrase ‘puttin’ on the Ritz’ is derived from the world famous Ritz London. It stands out among unique hotels for its fascinating history. Created by Edward VII in 1906, the Ritz has accommodated countless historical figures and luminaries. You can read more about this high profile option for unique hotels at the Ritz London website here. It is one of the priciest options among unique hotels. Prices start at around £300 per night.
2. An entirely different type of unusual lodging is the King Pacific Lodge in the Great Bear Rain Forest in British Columbia. This floating lodge is surrounded by majestic mountains and woodland, perfect for lovers of the great outdoors. There are a number of packages available for travellers which start at around $4,700 for three nights. King Pacific Lodge has one of the most beautiful settings of unique hotels.
3. If you are an art lover, you will appreciate the unusual lodging choice of Art-Hotel Atelier sul Mare in Sicily. Located in a small fishing village, this choice among unique hotels is filled with art! Bedrooms are art-themed and furnished with sculpture, and painting. Check out the website for more details on rates.
4. You have to love the retro feeling and character of Airstream trailers. They are the focus for the next entry on our list of unique hotels abroad. Manses, France is the setting for 7 Airstream caravans which provide self-catering lodging for guests. To complete the ‘Airstream look’, there are retro furnishings such as black and white TVs. You can find contact details for Airstream Europe here.
5. The unforgettable décor of Crazy Bear in Beaconsfield, England makes it a contender among unique hotels. The ornate staircase and chandeliers are just a few of the opulent design accents to be found in this unusual lodging.
6. The distinctive clock tower and dazzling architecture of the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh, Scotland makes it a great choice among unique hotels. Many of the rooms give you a great night view of the city. Be prepared for luxury prices at this five star hotel.
7. Kissamos Windmills rounds out the list of unique hotels. Just as it sounds, this hotel in Crete is located inside several windmills. The windmills are surprisingly located in a setting typical of Greece with large swimming pools and lots of sunshine.
8. A totally different unusual lodging choice is The Ice Hotel in Sweden. Just as it sounds, this hotel is made from ice and snow.
9. You should feel safe while staying in the Martello Tower in England, because it was originally built to keep out Napoleon. It sleeps four.
10. The final entry on the list of unique hotels is not a single unusual lodging, but many. The Landmark Trust in Great Britain provides the opportunity to stay in a range of unique hotels from lighthouses, to towers, to castles.