1. Skip your morning workout. I mean come on, does anybody really like to work out? If you’re one of the handful of the people in the world who enjoys going to the gym or running 5 miles every morning, then carry on. But if you’re like most of us and you actually have to force yourself to work out every day, use Labor Day as an excuse to take the day off.
2. Unplug for the day. Don’t check email or your Facebook account. Turn off your cell phone. Even though some of this stuff is fun and recreational, if you check email or your cell there’s always the chance you’ll have some reminder of something work related. Ignore it all for day and get a reminder of how much quieter life used to be.
3. Pick up a pizza. Or Chinese. Order whatever favorite take-out food you love. Or use this day to try out a new restaurant in your area. Whatever you do, do not cook on Labor Day. You deserve a break.
4. Crash your neighbor’s barbecue. If you want to stay close to home, make an appearance at one of your neighbors Labor Day parties. You know someone will be having one! Crash the party and you can kick back and enjoy while your neighbor does all of the work.
5. Resist the urge to do projects around the house. The Labor Day weekend is a great time to do those household projects that have no doubt been hanging over your head. Since it’s the last 3 day weekend before fall, many people spend Labor Day doing home improvements or repairs. But you will not feel relaxed or rejuvenated if you spend your Labor Day doing household projects. Save those projects for a rainy day later in the month. Labor Day should be labor-free!
6. Stay inside and watch your favorite guilty pleasure movie. Hole up inside, draw the blinds and do something you’d normally only do on a rainy day or when you’re sick with the flu. Watch one of your favorite guilty pleasure movies like “Grease”, “Sixteen Candles” or “Point Break”. Or get really mindless and watch one of those chick-flick movies on Lifetime.
7. Give summer a real sendoff. Head to the closest beach and be a beach bum. Since Labor Day is the last official weekend of summer, the beaches will likely be crowded but there’s always enough sand and ocean for everyone.
8. Take a really long, decadent bath. Instead of your usual rushed morning shower, indulge in a long, hot bath. Put bubble bath or bath salts in the water and just soak.
9. Get a massage or pedicure. You work hard all year long and Labor Day is the one national holiday dedicated to you. While some of the higher end salons may be closed, there’s always someplace open on the busy Labor Day weekend. You can also plan ahead and hire a masseuse or manicurist to come to your house on Labor Day.
10. Leave the dishes and laundry until Tuesday. I know it will drive you crazy, but resist the urge to do any type of housework on Labor Day. Don’t make your bed. Let the laundry and dishes pile up just for one day. You may have a little more work on Tuesday, but it will be worth it.