Buying presents for young children is never an easy task because you want to make sure you get a gift that matches the child’s taste and that is useful. Many children do not possess the ability to bite their tongue. So if you purchase a kid a gift that he does not like he will be sure to let you know right then and there. Before you go to that party, or Christmas dinner with what you think is the perfect gift, you might want to save yourself the embarrassment and check the list below to make sure it is not on the list of gifts kids do not like receiving.
Some gifts kids do not like receiving;
1. Clothing- refrain from purchasing the kid any hats, scarves, gloves, t-shirts, sweaters, or pants, especially under garments. When young boys get presents they expect a gift they can get their hands on and start playing with it. Can you imagine getting your hopes worked up to open that nicely wrapped gift only to find that it’s nothing but a bunch of clothes that they can’t even rough house in. When you think of it clothing does make a practical gift and parents will be grateful but children will beg to differ. If your set on purchasing clothing go ahead but just make sure you have a nice little toy to go along with it. Lakeside.com makes character hats and glove sets for children. The hat and glove sets include such characters as Batman, Spiderman, and iron man. These hats look just like they are a part of a costume as they are not the traditional on top of the head fit. These hats pull over the kids’ face and have eye and mouth holes. This is one clothing gift that the kids would love; they won’t even see this gift as clothing but as a part of a costume.
2. Flash cards and pencils- Yikes! Learning is beneficial and can be fun but there needs to be some barrier between schooling and imaginative play. Some parents may beg to differ, but if a kid is learning the basic in preschool or at home they don’t need to be burdened with it on their birthday or Christmas. That’s like a parent who works at the office and receives a set of paper folders for their birthday. If you give the gifs of pencils and flash cards t to the preschooler boy he just may put them to the side and forget all about it or he may ask you what else you bought. This may not be the case with all children; if your son is the studious type then he will enjoy these cards and pencils. If you really want to give an educational gift purchase an educational toy.
3. Books- This falls into that educational learning category. Books are tricky. Depending on the child a book as a gift would be met with complete interest, disdain, or passivity. The kid is more prone to throw the book down if it lacks vivid and bright pictures or if the subject is drab. If you must purchase the kid a book get one that comes with an audio tape/cd, one that contains bright illustrations or a book with interesting subjects and extraordinary characters such as; dinosaurs, or animals, monsters….
4. Stuffed animal- yes boys do play with stuffed animals but they do not treasure them the same way as girls. Boys are more prone to launch stuffed animals across the room in a game of wrestling. If you are convinced the kid you are buying the gift for would like a stuffed animal try to get one with built in sound or one that allows you to record and playback sound.
5. Pajamas- Technically this would fall under the clothing category but buyers seem to think otherwise since pajamas come with so many designs. If you want to get the kid a band new set of pj’s be sure to include an inexpensive bath toy with.