DO you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? There are some steps that can be taken to help to fall asleep and stay asleep without taking sleeping pills. Not only can sleeping pills become addictive, they are bad for your health. Below are 7 easy steps that will help you to fall asleep and get that great nights rest you need and deserve without relying on pills.
1. Turn off the television! A television set can play a large role in not being able to fall asleep. Be sure to turn off your television at least one hour before your desired bedtime. Television shows can stimulate the mind and keep it active for quite some time. This is not good when you wish to go to sleep! After your favorite show goes off the air, you are thinking about what might happened on the next episode or your mind simply replays the show. This is why it is important to turn off your television at least one hour before bedtime.
2. Stay away from the refrigerator. Don’t eat anything for at least two hours before you turn in. Going to bed with a stomach full of food can cause discomfort and gas, which will keep you distracted from sleep. Food also gives your mind and body energy. Energy is great when you want to be active, but when wanting to sleep, it is not needed. Excess energy will keep the mind and body parts stimulated, thus keeping you awake. Eating before bedtime can also cause you to wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, or simply because you are miserable. So don’t eat before bedtime.
3. Clear your mind. This step can be said a lot easier than executed. Try not to plan your day or future activities right before bedtime. Also don’t think about your finances or other personal business before bedtime. The human brain can seem to run wild with thoughts, but simply not thing about certain details can help it to relax and this will make you sleepy.
4. Believe it or not, yawing can help a person get sleepy. A few minutes before bedtime, simply start to yawn. If you do not feel you have to yawn, make yourself yawn a couple of times and before you know it you wont be able to stop yawning.
5. Sometimes an easy way to relax and get ready for bed is simply a warm shower. Take a nice warm shower or bath before retiring for the night to get relaxed and sleepy. A warm shower will sometimes relax you at night the same as it will wake you up in the morning.
6. Keep a scheduled bedtime and wake up time. Sometimes simply going to bed, and getting up at the same each day will program your body to sleep and awake when it should. A good schedule will help you keep a routine bed and awake time.
7. Try listening to relaxing sounds at a very low volume. Sounds such as a waterfall, or even certain songs played at a low volume can help you to relax and get sleepy. Experiment with different sounds and music, to see which one is more relaxing for you.
Everyone has trouble falling asleep from time to time, but with the above steps, you should find that it is a lot easier to go to sleep and get a good nights rest. There is always a natural and healthy approach to falling asleep without having to rely on harmful medications. So go ahead and try these 7 simple steps and have a great night sleep!