The time for purchasing holiday gifts is upon us and for dog owners, finding a special gift for man’s best friend is challenging. Dog biscuits are the old standby for gift giving but as much as any dog enjoys a biscuit, a gift for Fido should be original, thoughtful and enjoyed by the pet owner as well as the pet. Here are 8 great special gift suggestions for your dog.
- Start counting down the days until Christmas with your dog. Advent Calendars that contain doggie treats versus chocolate are a fun way for you and your pet to get ready for the holidays. Doggie Treat Advent Calendars are available at www.pawsgourmet.com
- Who doesn’t love a Pez dispenser? Pez has created a fun dispenser that holds and expels chicken flavored dog treats. Refill treats are available for the dispenser. This is a fun gift that you and your dog will enjoy. www.drsfostersmith.com
- When you are too busy to entertain your pet, keep him happy by offering a treat ball. Dog treat balls keep you pet entertained and mentally stimulated. Your dog stays active longer while trying to work the treats out of the ball. These treat balls come in sizes from small to large and are available at most pet stores.
- As seen on Oprah, lighted dog collars are a great gift that will keep your dog safe. Collars have LED lights which run on batteries and also a reflective strip so if you forget to turn the collar on your dog will still be seen in the dark of night. www.keepdoggiesafe.com
- A plush toy. Plush toys act like a security blanket for dogs. Toys are permeated with the dog’s scent and they choose it to play and cuddle with. Plush dog toys are usually reinforced for rough play and have cloth eyes or buttons so that your pet does not swallow dangerous pieces. Some plush toys have squeaking or rattling insides for a fun play activity. Plush pet toys are widely available online or at pet stores nationwide.
- A sweater. Many dogs do not have long enough fur to ward off the cold. Keep your dog happy with a warm sweater. Many sizes and styles are available and some even have been themed for the holidays. A great selection of pet clothing can be found online.
- Join a dog walking group. Keep you and your dog happy both physically and socially. Dog walking groups are a great social event that allow your pet interaction with other animals and offer the added benefit of routine exercise. Dog groups in your area are easily found online. If you have trouble finding a dog walking group, create one of your own.
- After a hard day of holiday shopping and playing with your pet, offer the dog the comfort of his own bed. Pet beds are designed for large and small dogs and help to eliminate the mess of pet hair on your furniture by giving your pet a place of their own to rest. Many retail pet stores offer a wide assortment of pet beds to choose from. They are also widely available online.
These eight great special pet gift ideas are affordable and widely available. Keep your holidays merry by giving a gift to your pet that he will love and you will enjoy, also.