After much scrutiny and criticism my top five poll for this week may not have as many controversial rankings when compared to some of my previous top five polls. Let’s begin….
1. Oregon. For the first time this year I feel that an SEC team doesn’t belong in the top spot. That’s saying a lot for me. It was a really tough choice between the Ducks and the Buckeyes. Don’t get me wrong, the Buckeye’s look great, but Oregon has played a tougher schedule and has more signature wins.
2. Ohio State. Again, no SEC team to be found in my top two. Now, that is crazy. None the less, Ohio State does look good. They have beaten some good teams but nothing really sticks out to me. They have also had this 3rd quarter hickup the past two weeks where they let teams get back in the game or sometimes get ahead. Illinois or Michigan could upend them but I really don’t see it happening. I actually think Illinois might have the best shot at beating them. I just don’t trust the Wolverines this year.
3. LSU. Finally, my beloved SEC makes it’s entrance. Three weeks ago I thought LSU was invinceable but I just don’t feel that way anymore. They have played a killer schedule and only lost one game but that lose to Kentucky looks a little worse than it did a few weeks ago (that being said, Kentucky is a solid team). They may win their next two games by a combined 100 points but Arkansas does pose a potential upset threat. Probably not though.
4. West Virginia. After losing to South Florida I think a lot of people counted this team out. Guess what? They are back. Their next four games are going to be tough. Louisville and Cinci before the Big East showdown against UConn. What? Yes, that’s not a misprint. UCONN. Some people may wonder where Oklahoma is but Oklahoma has not beaten anybody, except for Missouri. Miami? No, they just lost to NC State (a team that is playing better by the way). Texas? The Longhorns barely beat Arkansas State and they (Texas) just look so mediocre right now.
5. Missouri. How can Missouri be ranked ahead of Oklahoma? Well I am not sure what my theory is but I just feel like the Tigers are the better team. You ask “Didn’t Oklahoma beat Missouri?” Yeah, they did but I think Missouri wins the rematch in the Big 12 title game.
I think you can pencil in Ohio State and LSU in the national championship game. I don’t see LSU losing the rest of the way. I don’t feel like anybody in the East besides Florida could beat them in the title game. I also don’t think Ohio State will lose. If Kansas runs the table and doesn’t make it to the national championship game people in Jayhawk country are going to be crying ‘foul.’ That was a sorry attempt at a bad joke. I’m not even sure if that made sense, anyways, I don’t think the Jayhawks will run the table with matchups against Missouri and possibly Oklahoma looming large. For all you Kansas people, your team does look extremely good right now. Besides the win over Kansas State (which really doesn’t even look that good anymore), who have you beaten? Nobody. You did blow out Nebraska and I loved it but still what is going to happen when you play a team with eleven decent players on both sides of the ball. If you blow them out than you might make top five. I just can’t see the Jayhawks beating Missouri and Oklahoma, though. You might beat one of them but not both of them.