How do we know that we are angry?
The way we know we are angry is that we often feel a physical reaction in our body. This is called our ANGER CUES.
Some example of some anger cues include:
* breathing changes in some way: breathe in gulps, have trouble breathing, or breathing fast or quick or erratic-feeling
* find yourself getting into a fighting stance
* you make nervous gestures
* you feel extra cold or over-heated
* headache or head pound
* hair stands on end or feels electrified
* eyes produce tears or you cry
* eyes look hard or crazed or glazed or flash
* face feels tight or flushed
* jaw muscles flex or tense or tighten
* teeth clench
* voice gets high or rough or whispery-sounding
* neck muscles tense
* chest feels tight
* heart palpitates
* upper back hurts or lower back aches
* stomach aches or feels tight or you get a nervous stomach
* arms feel extra heavy
* hands sweat or clench or shake
* legs feel heavy or tight or like lead
Why is it important to be aware of our Anger Cues?
If we can identify some of our anger cues, we can quickly work on calming ourselves down and also try to relax the part of our body that is feeling tense.
For examples of seven relaxation techniques, please visit:
Angry? Seven ways to relax
Editorial note: I taught for many years and attended many teacher workshops. I also had social worker friends who shared information with me. Additional, the over 500 conflict resolution students I had a year for five years shared their insights as well. I do not know a specific individual or publication to credit for some of this information. My apologies for not being able to give you a specific source.
Other Anger Management Articles:
* Anger Cues
* Anger Triggers
* Anger Styles
* Angry? Seven ways to relax
* Chain of Pain aka Victim-Victimizer Cycle
* Your habitual anger style
* Examples of Anger Style called Acting Out
* Examples of Anger Style called Displaced Anger
* Examples of Anger Style called Ignored Anger
* Examples of Anger Style called Avoidance
* Ten ways to change your habitual anger style