What you give a man depends on what that particular man enjoys; whether it’s television, athletics, tinkering in the garage, reading, flying, or techie stuff. It also depends on how he dresses. Is he GQ, Marlboro Man, or Geek? It requires knowing what he wants. If you get him what he needs you may risk disappointing him. There is such a thing as a bad gift to give a man.
A man will usually buy himself what he needs. If he’s a decent fellow, he’ll put aside his wants for the sake of his family. To a good man it’s always family first. That’s the way it should be.
Anyway, do you want a few ideas for easy gifts for a man? Yes? Read on. Bear in mind that although most men are the same; we’re all different.
Remember, every budget is different. You need to use your own discretion. If you can afford to give him a new car- go for it. If not, for some ideas check out my best places to shop for a man article.
Okay, here you go five easy gifts for a man.
1. War Movie DVDs: Most men enjoy well made war movies. There’ve been a lot of good ones in the last 10 years or so. Check out my best war movies article for some ideas.
2. Sweat Shirt: Who doesn’t like a good sweatshirt? It’s gotta be soft, comfortable- 100% cotton (or real close to 100%). You know your guy. If he has a favorite NFL or college team and likes stuff on his shirt, get him one of those. Me, I don’t care for anything on my shirts except perhaps the little brand logo on the left chest. Nothing on the back for me please. Get him matching pants to go with it. There are some nice sweat clothes out there: Nike, Adidas, Russell and so forth.
Make sure BOTH of you like it. He wants to feel that he looks good to you.
3. Video Games: Does you man enjoy video games? Does he have a PS2, PS3, Wii, or X-Box? Then get him a couple of new games. You know the ones he’s been talking about. You can’t go wrong.
4. Electronics: If he’s into electronics then whatever he doesn’t have he’ll like; MacBook®, WiiTM, IPod®, MP3, IPhone® or Garmin® GPS, Check out your favorite electronics brick-n-mortar or online store. I prefer Best Buy® or Apple® Store but there are other fine stores at which to shop such as Ultimate Electronics®.
5. Books: You can’t go wrong with books unless he doesn’t like to read (a lot of me don’t). Sure, he probably should read but if he doesn’t Christmas probably isn’t the time to force the issue. If he does read then there’s a whole world to explore at your favorite book store. Don’t have one? I suggest Barnes & Noble or of course one of your local bookstores (if there are any still in business) Amazon is good too for online purchases, new or used.
I don’t know your guy’s tastes so you better do some homework before you go to the
BONUS: Wives, I know something that almost every husband will like; a romantic ‘staycation’ weekend at a nice hotel with you. You might through in new lingerie and a bottle of wine. Don’t go overboard and create a bunch of unrealistic expectations in your mind. Pretend you’re dating again. Let him meet you at the hotel. Have fun with it.
Christmas is supposed to be fun and meaningful. When I hear folks in stores saying things such as “One more thing and I’m done” or “I’m glad I’m done” I wonder if they enjoy Christmas at all. I get the impression from some people that they can’t wait to get the whole thing over with so they can get back to their usual routines.
Me, I wish Christmas truly lasted all year long and all we had to in life was shop and give gifts to love ones, donate to the needy, have fun with family and friends, sing Christmas songs, and thank God for the birth of his Son.
Well, that’s just me.