September is National Breakfast month and reminds us breakfast is an important part of our day. It gives ‘fuel’ to get through the morning. Long term those who eat breakfast have a healthier weight, lower cholesterol levels and less irritability from mid morning hunger than those who skip breakfast.
Focus on fiber and protein. Quick meals are possible and you can make meals on the run too! Keep it simple. A piece of toast with peanut butter can be folded in half and you’re out the door. A piece of fruit on the way out is even faster! Blender drinks, instant oatmeal, leftovers and premade things all add up to no excuses! It’s faster, cheaper and just as easy as hitting the drive-through on the way to work. It’s healthier than sugar laden donuts – which are fine on occasion but not as a basis for meals! For those who say they don’t like toast think of variations beyond just butter! Toast can go with any meal or as a snack!
Egg yolks is one of the few foods with naturally occurring Vitamin D and a great source of protein. Ham and eggs is a typically American breakfast but also a favorite of Egyptians in 1500 BC according to some sources.
Think convenience – make your own oatmeal mix and use flavorings you enjoy, be it a little cinnamon sugar, maple syrup, fruit or chopped walnuts stirred in.
Here’s 30 breakfasts to get you started off! Think of breakfast at dinner time – make extra mashed potatoes or use leftovers in casseroles.
1.Apple Cider Shake, toast with butter, cinnamon-sugar mix or honey
2.Scrambled Egg Sandwich To Go
3. New Mexico Green Chili Breakfast Burritos
4. Oatmeal with toast
5. Breakfast Casserole II
6. Bacon and Egg Breakfast Muffins (add a little oatmeal to the batter!)
7. Sausage on toasted English muffin with a slice of cheese
8. Chocolate Chip Coffeecake
9. Cinnamon Smoothie
10. Tortilla Rolled with Scrambled Eggs Cheese & Caramelized Onions
11. Potato Pancakes with bacon or ham
13 Multi-Grain Maple Granola
14. Ham & Cheese Special
15. Downeast Main Pumpkin Bread with scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon bits
16. Sausage-Potato Frittata
17. Grab & Go Cottage Crunch
18. Peanut Butter Feather Pancakes
19. Raspberry Almond Morning Parfait
20. Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
21. Six grain crockpot Breakfast
22. Scotch Eggs
23. Silver Dollar Pancakes with Roasted Pears & Syrup
24. Sausage Potato Casserole
25. Biscuits & Gravy
26. Crispy Breakfast Quesadilla
27. Ole Breakfast Roll-up
28. Easy Morning Glory Muffins with Monkey Shake
29. Almond Butter Coffee Cake
30. Peanut Butter, apple & Sausage Muffins
Many of these can be made or started the night before, popped in the oven before you get in the shower or done quickly in the morning on the way out the door. There’s a wide range of smoothies and other treats that you’ll never have to get bored with eating the same thing over and over again.
Make a habit of breakfast. Make it even better tossing a handful of oatmeal in with pancakes or muffins. Breakfast gets the day off to a good start.