Vacationing in Washington D.C. is often very reasonably priced for the budget minded traveler. The thrifty vacationer can find affordable deals on attractions and lodging throughout the city which makes it the ideal location for cheap travel.
Here is a guide to several ways to travel on a thrifty cost plan.
1) When booking a room in the Washington D.C. area consider renting on the weekends because lodging tends to be far cheaper then during mid week when the heavy influx of business travelers utilize the hotels.
2) The best time to travel to the city is late summer or wintertime when there are many cheap deals available.
3) Consider staying at one of the wonderful historic Bed and Breakfasts that sit in and around the city. These offer fantastic comfortable lodging with a full breakfast each morning which helps save a great deal of money on your food bill.
4) If you decide to stay in the Maryland or Virginia suburbs try to make sure that your lodging is close to a Metro station for easy transportation into the city. Some hotels provide free travel to Metro stations so be sure to ask when booking your lodging. A Metrorail pass for the day only costs $6.50 for unlimited one day usage.
5) Parking in D.C. is expensive so try to use the public transportation system.
6) The new busing around the city called the D.C. Circulator offers rides for only $1 per ride or unlimited rides all day for $3.
7) The very best thing about Washington D.C. for any vacationer is that all the National attractions are free. You can visit any of the 15 Smithsonian vacations free of charge. Bureaus of Engraving and Printing offers free tours daily.
8) For cheap lodging you should consider staying in Virginia or Maryland. Here are a few choice hotels for the budget minded traveler.
a. Best Western Iwo Jima
1505 Arlington Blvd
b. Quality Inn Laurel
1 Second Street, Laurel, MD 20707
c. Comfort Inn Shady Grove
16216 Frederick Rd.
Gaithersburg, MD, US, 20877-3502
9) Finding excellent restaurants for reasonable is not difficult around the D.C. area. There is a wealth of food for very affordable prices. Here are a few restaurants that you might want to try.
a. Luigi’s Pizzeria.
1132 19th Street NW
b. Tony Chengs Chinese and Seafood
619 H Street NW
1990 M Street NW