In today’s economy, it is getting harder than ever to purchase the necessities of life, much less lavish Christmas gifts. However, you do not need to spend a lot of money on a gift in order to make it look expensive. The key to making any cheap gift look expensive is to add small touches and details. Here are 10 cheap Christmas gift ideas that look expensive:
1. Quality Stationary, Pen and Pencil: Good stationary, as well as a pen and pencil set, make for a thoughtful and expensive-looking gift. Try purchasing your stationary from a retailer like Papyrus and your writing utensils from Parker; both stores have very reasonably priced items.
2. Leather Bound Personal Journal: For someone who likes to draw, write, or is planning to travel soon, a leather bound personal journal can be a treasured accessory for many years. Most major bookstores carry leather bound and even gold-embossed journals.
3. Sheepskin Slippers: For cold winter nights, nothing beats a pair of cozy sheepskin slippers. Inexpensive sheepskin slippers can be found at sites like Sheepskin and ShoeBuy.
4. Chocolate Spoons: Chocolate spoons can be made by dipping plastic spoons into a pot of melted chocolate, then laying the spoons down on wax paper and letting the chocolate harden. The spoons can be wrapped in cellophane and tied with a fancy bow. You can pair the spoons with a bag of gourmet cocoa or coffee.
5. Essential Oil Infused Hand Cream: Inexpensive unscented hand cream can be purchased, infused with a few drops of essential oil, and then placed into a decorative glass jar with a swivel-top lid. For added effect, crushed flower petals or herbs can be mixed into the cream.
6. Antique Teacups with Tea: Individual teacups and saucers can often be purchased at antique stores for a few dollars. These antique cups can then be filled with small tea sachets, wrapped up in cellophane, and tied with a bow.
7. Decorated Cardigan: For a few dollars, you can purchase a cheap cardigan, remove its buttons, and replace them with buttons that are made with Swarovski crystals, mother-of-pearl shells or pearls. A simple change of buttons makes the sweater look expensive.
8. Cross-stitched Towel Set: If you are crafty, you can purchase inexpensive towels and add a small border of cross-stitched fabric at the bottom. For an added touch, the fabric can be lined with lace.
9. Framed Photos: Select several cherished photos, then purchase a set of raw wood frames from a craft store. Stain all the wood frames in one color and coat them with polish. Then, frame and mat the photos.
10. Glass Pendant: Inexpensive yet fancy glass pendants can be bought at most arts and craft stores or online. Thread a sheer ribbon through the pendant opening, place it into a gold box, and tie the box with additional ribbon.