The most common computer problem on the planet is user error. Take this simple quiz and find out if you rank among the computer savvy elite, or if you are among the IT world’s most dreaded customers; the people who don’t listen, don’t think, resist training and constantly scream for help.
LOW TECH SELF-ASSESSMENT TOOL
1. Does the word technology make you nervous?
2. Do you break out in a cold sweat when you hear about new gadgets, software or applications at work?
3. When you are told to back-up your files is your first inclination to look for a back-up or reverse key?
4. Have you sought help from your local computer professional only to watch him/her drop to the floor and beg office mates to kick them in the head as soon as you walk through the door?
5. Do you submit technology work orders only to see them tossed into the overflowing, yet seemingly important, I.D.T.E.N.T. pile on the Technology Director’s desk; never to hear about them again?
6. Do you hear snickering, laughing, or even, the distinctive clicks of the mute button being deployed when you call the IT Help Line and ask how to access E-mail or about other basic tasks?
7. Have you ever sought help because your computer appeared dead only to find out it was unplugged, the monitor was not turned on, or the power was out citywide?
8. Have you gotten an error message that asks you to press ANY key to continue, and you picked up the phone and called for help because you couldn’t find the ANY key?
9. Do you wonder why your wireless laptop won’t hook up to your home Internet service provider while you are at work?
10. Have you ever resorted to telling people you have a Master’s degree, a Doctorate, or some other post-graduate training to convince them you are obviously smart, despite the fact you can’t manage to send an email or delete a file unsupervised?
If you answered NO to all ten questions, pat yourself on the back and count yourself among the savvy elite or technologically inclined.
If you have more NO answers than YES answers you are a pretty average computer user, but strive to improve your skills.
If you answered YES to 5-7 questions you are probably a minor irritant to the technology help staff at work, but if you have a sense of humor and a pleasant personality they will likely treat you courteously and respond to your needs in a timely manner.
If you answered YES to 8 or more questions you will be labeled I.D.T.E.N.T (IDIOT) by the tech staff. Which means your calls, emails and work orders will most likely be ignored or circular filed. Your only hope for salvation is to take a class, learn how to find answers to your insipid questions yourself, or crawl under your desk and hide there forever.