Champagne glasses are typically only used for drinking champagne, sparking wines, and sparkling ciders. But these specialized glasses can also be used to create unusual, decorative Christmas centerpieces for a holiday table. Champagne glasses can be turned into candle holders and bud vases, or even to hold colorful Christmas trinkets and decorations.
Need some easy ideas of how you can create decorative centerpieces from a collection of either saucer or fluted champagne glasses? Read these instructions for three easy ways to turn champagne glasses into an unusual center piece.
Decorative Candle holders: supplies needed include tapered candles, florist foam, several champagne glasses, red ribbon, and an assortment of 3-to-4 inch live evergreen sprigs, such as yew, holly, Oregon Grape, spruce or pine springs
1. Cut the florists foam to fit inside of the champagne glass. Soak in water before carefully placing it in the champagne glass.
2. Insert the candle into the foam, pressing it deep enough to stand on it’s own.
3. Press the stems of the evergreen sprigs into the foam, arranging in such a way to cover the entire base of the candle. Arrange some of the sprigs facing upwards, but also arrange a few so they curl downwards and hide the foam.
4. Tie the red ribbon around the stem of the champagne glass
For added color, mix crafting holly berries or miniature glass balls within the sprigs of evergreen.
Display a collect of seed balls: supplies needed include an assortment of dried beans or seeds (garbanzo, black beans, red beans, white beans etc.), hot glue, gold ribbon, assorted sizes of styrofoam balls measuring between three-to-six inches in diameter.
1. Working with one type of dry bean at a time, glue the seeds to the styrofoam balls using the hot glue. For the prettiest effect, the seed should be glued with the widest end against the styrofoam and the pointy end out. Glue the seeds tightly against each other so that not a single speck of white styrofoam can be seen.
2. Repeat until you have completed a seed ball of garbanzos, a seed ball of white beans, a seed ball of black beans and so on.
3. Place the champagne glasses in the center of the table. Tie a wide old ribbon at the base of each glass.
4. Place the various seed balls on the different glasses, pushing them together so as to create a cohesive arrangement.
For a different effect, spray the seed balls with gold or silver spray paint, and use metallic ribbons at the base of the glass.
Display an assortment of over sized glass balls: While most Christmas ball style ornaments are between two-to-three inches in diameter, some craft stores carry colorful ornaments that can be as large as five inches. A colorful assortment of over sized glass ball ornaments can be arranged on the champagne glasses as well. Supplies needed are large Christmas ball ornaments, an assortment of colorful metallic ribbon, and champagne glasses.
1. Place the glass ball in the champagne glass, stem pointing down.
2. Tie colorful ribbon around the bowls of the champagne glasses.
3. Arrange the ornaments & glasses in a tight cluster in the center of the table.