These fun and easy shooting star Christmas ornaments are inexpensive to make and can brighten up your Christmas tree just like real shooting stars brighten the night sky. The only difference is that yours will last much longer than a few seconds. Because they are so easy to make, they are a perfect craft for preschoolers and school age children to make. Adults may also enjoy creating their own shooting star ornaments.
The inexpensive materials used in their construction will allow you to make several for your Christmas tree or classroom without breaking the bank.
How To Make A Craft Foam Shooting Star Christmas Ornament
This craft project uses inexpensive craft foam and pipe cleaners to create a Shooting Star ornament.
Craft foam in your choice of colors
Pipe Cleaners also called Chenille Stems in your choice of colors
Puff Paint in your choice of colors
Cardboard star template 3 ” in diameter.
- Begin by tracing the star template onto the craft foam. If you will be making more than one repeat until the entire piece of foam is used.If you are doing this craft with younger children an adult may need to trace and cut out the stars.
- Use the scissors to cut out all of the foam star shapes.
- Use the Hole punch to make a hole at the bottom of the star in the V shape between the two points.
- Use the puff paint to outline the foam star decorations or to draw decorations on.
- Allow to dry and repeat on the other side if desired.
- Take a pipe cleaner and wrap around the pencil to make a corkscrew shape.
- Remove from the pencil and stretch out a bit.
- Poke through the hole in the star and twist closed to secure.
- Use the hole punch to make a hole in the top point of the star.
- Put a piece of string and poke through the hole.
- Tie the string to make a loop for hanging on the Christmas tree.
Felt or thick paper can be substituted for the craft foam.
Glitter glue can be used in place of the puff paint to decorate the star.
The stars spiral tale can be made by cutting a spiral shape out of thick paper instead of using pipe cleaners.
Where To Purchase Materials
All craft materials can be purchased at your local craft store or on line at www.orientaltrading.com
Whether you make a bunch or just one these Shooting Star Christmas ornaments are sure to add a celestial touch to any Christmas Tree.