The holiday season is almost upon us, and many of us are trying to decide what gift is the perfect choice for that special tween. Selecting gifts that are not only cool but also eco-friendly is a great way to find a present that is sure to please, while at the same time, you are helping to improve and save the environment. In this article, I provide ten eco-friendly gift ideas that are wonderful to consider giving to your favorite tween.
1. National Wildlife Foundation “Green at Heart” Wristband – This emerald green wristband lets the world know that your tween is an animal lover and earth friendly. For each bracelet that is sold, $1 is donated to the National Wildlife Foundation. This bracelet retails for $3.95 and would be perfectly matched with a seeded download card (www.earthkits.com/Seeded_Download_Card_p/1600.htm).
2. Seeded Download Card – This cool card enables your tween to download two songs of their choice, and then, afterwards, he or she can plant the card in the ground where it will bring forth a beautiful array of annual and perennial wildflowers. The card is available for the economical price of $5.99.
3. Wooden Secret Decoder – This intriguing decoder is made in Portland Oregon by Wood Toy Shop and can be found on the Etsy website (www.etsy.com). Wood Toy Shop is a member of Etsy’s Natural Kids Team and creates most of the offered masterpieces from wood that comes from mill ends or scrap from cabinet shops. The decoder is finished with non-toxic mineral oil and is built to last. For the price of $9.00, two of the decoders are provided so that your tween can have one for him or her and one for a friend. A Caesar cipher is used to encrypt and decrypt your tween’s secret messages, and this technique is the same that was utilized by Julius Caesar to send important messages to his armies.
4. Aurora Naturally Eco Stuffed Polar Bear – This adorable 7.5″ tall bear is ecologically sound. He is made from 100% soy fiber and is stuffed with 100% Kapok which is a golden silky fiber that is hypoallergenic and is a sustainable rainforest crop. This precious bear could be your tween’s for the low price of $15.00. If your tween is not a bear fan, Aurora Naturally offers other stuffed animals as well for the same price.
5. Think, Write, Grow Plantable Journal – This beautiful 5″x7″ journal contains 150 sheets of lined recycled paper, and its cover is made from 100% recycled office paper and wildflower seeds. Once you fill the journal with your tween fills the journal with his or her personal thoughts and writings, he or she can remove the cover, plant it in a garden, and watch as it produces a colorful array of wildflowers. A wrap tie keeps this journal neat and tidy. This gorgeous Canadian product can belong to your tween for the reasonable price of $25.00.
6. YooDo Large Scale Construction Toy – This creative construction set is made from extra-heavy weight cardboard that is 100% recyclable and is the creation of Scott Kinker of Offi and Company in Tiburon, CA. This 16-piece set consists of 4 26″x15″ large U panels, 4 20″x8″ small U panels, 4 9″x15″ large connectors, and 4 6″x3 1/2″ small trapezoids. These pieces fit together to form a fort, a monument, a playhouse, or any other type of structure of which your tween can think. This set is available for the economical price of $49.00.
7. Foil Candy Wrapper Shoulder Bag with Long Cotton Strap – This stylish shoulder bag is made in Mexico from foil candy wrappers and is very sturdy with a zipper closure. This bag measures 8.5″x7″ and has a 40″ long cotton strap. Each bag is one of a kind and is available in a variety of colors. This extraordinary accessory can be your tween’s for $49.95.
8. Personal Petals Birthstone Silver Petal Necklace – This enchanting necklace is made from recycled sterling silver, and the petal design has been hand cast from real flower petals and decorated with three tiny semi-precious birthstones. Catherine Weitzman, an artist who resides in Hawaii, is the maker of these lovely creations. You can have the necklace customized to contain your tween’s birthstone. Each of these necklaces arrives in a complimentary 100% reclaimed cotton jewelry pouch that is made from the unusable ends of fabric bolts. This gorgeous necklace is affordably priced at $60.00.
9. Bottle Deposit Reclaimed Bottle Rings – These attractive rings are handmade from quarter-sized pieces of glossy recycled glass that has been taken from the bottom of water and beer bottles that have been placed in a sterling silver setting. Kathleen Plate is the Georgia-based artist of these alluring masterpieces. These rings are offered in lime green or amber colored glass, come in sizes 6-8, and are gift wrapped in a 100% reclaimed cotton jewelry pouch that is made from the unusable ends of fabric bolts. Either color of this ring is available for the price of $75.00.
10. Horizon Fuel Hydrocar – This awesome toy car uses a PEM reversible fuel cell and moves around obstacles all by itself. Your tween does not need any batteries to operate this car – he or she just adds water. Two AA batteries are needed to work the glowing LED that allows your tween to keep up with this interesting vehicle in the dark. This toy is a wonderful example of hybrid technology and retails for $85.05 at www.amazon.com.
When shopping for your beloved tween, keep these fascinating, environmentally friendly gift ideas in mind. Your tween and your environment will thank you.