While many people are married and having families, it is easy as a single to feel left out and lonely. You might even find yourself having fewer connections to people than you did before. You may have a tinge of self pity with that as well. And then time could become your enemy as you find yourself with too much of it. So what do you do with this extra time?
Being single can be difficult, but it does not have to be as lonely as it looks either. Here are some suggestions on how to handle singleness with an active mindset.
1. Serve others. Helping other people not only keeps you connected, but it also causes you to focus on others rather than yourself. Whether it involves serving your family, your friends, or other people in need, the benefits of giving your time, energy, and love to others is worth the effort.
2. Take a class. Colleges, libraries, and some churches do offer classes that you can take in your free time. Now a college class might be a little costly and time consuming, so make sure to explore all your options before you make a decision. But if time or money really is already an issue for you, just look into the classes offered at your local church. They are generally cheaper (or even free) and usually meet once a week. Either way, you are keeping your brain active and making new friends at the same time.
3. Play a sport. Did you ever enjoy sports in the past? Are there any sports you would currently like to do? If so, follow your sports dream. Get active now and stay connected, literally. But if actual sports clubs are too costly for you to join, gather a group of friends instead who would like to play that sport with you on a more consistent basis. Then make a commitment to do that either every week or every month. Being active does not have to cost money, but it is worth the time spent.
4. Spend time outdoors. Surround yourself with a green landscape and breathe in the fresh air. Plant a garden in your yard, or take a relaxing stroll from your home. You could even plan a weekend trip with a friend to a nearby state park. Just do something enjoyable outside. Taking a moment to be outdoors every once in a while can turn out to be a relaxing, refreshing way to spend your free time.
5. Plan a get together. Whether it is in your home or at a nearby restaurant, invite some of your friends to hang out with you every once in a while. This type of planning not only gives you a better opportunity to spend time with your friends, but it also is a great way to enjoy your life in a more fulfilling way.
The initial loneliness may never go away, but it can be lessened. You might be surprised at how much better you handle it once you just get out there and do something.