The winter is a time for many fun activities with snow, and most traditional fun winter activity for kids is building a snowman. Everyone has built a snowman before, and some come out better than others. This article will give you detailed step-by-step instructions on how to build a snowman.
1. Start by checking the snow; the consistency of the snow is an important factor in how your snowman will come out. Test the snow by grabbing a handful forming it into a ball. You will know instantly if there is good snow because it will stay together easily. Dry powdery snow will work, but it will be much harder to work with when building your snowman for this fun winter activity with your kids.
2. Determine what type of snowman you are going to build; size, gender, and personality are strong influences on the rest of this fun winter activity for kids, and it is important to have a plan ahead of time. When building a snowman you and your kids should consider what type of snowman you would like to make beforehand.
3. Finding a good spot for your snowman is also important, and kids will be very proud of their snowman so you will want to be able to see it easily. You also do not want your snowman to be in the way of anything so try to find the perfect spot for this fun winter activity before you begin. Remember building a snow man with your kids is a lot of fun, but picking a safe and easily seen spot is important for this fun winter activity with your kids.
4. Start this fun winter activity by building the bottom ball for your snowman. The easiest way to do this is by starting several feet away from your snowman. Simply make a small ball and place it on the ground help your kids to roll it in the direction of your snowman. As you roll the ball it will pick up snow and get bigger. If you start far enough away by the time you get to your designated spot the ball will be the perfect size. Having a strong base ball is very important to the stability of your snowman.
5. Continue making your snowman by building the middle ball and the head the same way you made the base. Remember when doing this fun winter activity with your kids that every ball you add should be slightly smaller than the one underneath it. This will make sure that your snowman does not topple over.
6. Now that you have a basic snowman body it is time to add arms. Arms can be made using sticks, and it is fun to hunt around in the snow with your kids to find the perfect arms. When picking arms remember what your snowman is like. If you are planning on putting something in your snowman’s hand find sticks that have forked branches at the end.
7. This fun winter activity is not complete without adding clothing to your snowman; help kids pick out the perfect clothing and accessories for your snowman. You can use hats, scarves, jackets, shirts, and any other fun things you have found around the house. Ties, gloves, and handkerchiefs can also be used when dressing your snowman; so be creative.
8. The face is the part of this fun winter activity that will really give your snowman character. A carrot is always a suitable nose, but sticks, rocks, pinecones, and other things found around the home are also suitable. Rocks make great eyes, but bottle caps, black walnuts, and jar lids will also work well. A smile can be made with sticks, rocks, a piece of string, or you can simply carve it into the snowman.
When building your snowman with your kids using props is something you should try. Use props to give your snowman character; if your snowman is a cook give him a frying pan, or if you like sports put a baseball in the snowman’s hand. Props are a great way to add personality to your snowman.
Another fun way to customize your snowman is by using food coloring to add details. Simply mix a few drops of food coloring into some water, and pour that into a squirt container. Old condiment bottles and hair dye bottles work great for this fun winter activity. Help your kids use the bottles to add color and details to your snowman.
This fun winter activity is a must for kids every winter season, and this article will help you build the best snowman yet.