Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering announced that the autopsies of the victims of the New Hope Plantation mobile home murders in Georgia revealed that they were all bludgeoned to death.
“The manner of death of each of the victims was blunt force trauma,” Chief Doering said in a statement released Tuesday, Sept. 8th, while declining to specify what kind of weapon was used. The statement continues, “Chief Matt Doering reports that the results of the autopsies of the eight victims that were murdered on August 29, 2009, at the New Hope Plantation Mobile Home Park indicated that no one suffered any gunshot wounds.”
This contradicts earlier reports from Memorial University Medical Center that Michael Toler had died from brain injuries due to gunshot wounds. It also contradicts an earlier report that an official “close to the investigation” told the Brunswick News that the victims had been shot. It was earlier reported that some of the victims were so badly disfigured, visual identification was not possible.
Stating that Guy Heinze, Jr., remains the chief and sole suspect in the killings, Chief Doering said, “”The investigation at this time does not indicate that there were others involved in this case and therefore no other suspects are being sought by the Glynn County Police Department at this time. According to the statement, “This investigation is still very much ongoing and according to Chief Doering all information seems to indicate that the suspect, Guy Heinze, Jr., acted alone.”
Relatives of the murder victims say they can’t understand how a single man could have beaten eight people to death in one mobile home. An uncle of the four murdered Toler children, Clint Rowe, told The Associated Press that he didn’t see how the killings could have been carried out by one person alone, with several grown men among the victims, unless the victims were drugged. Rowe told AP, “They would’ve fought until the end. Wouldn’t you think one person would’ve had a hard time killing eight people with a blunt object without someone giving them a fight?”
Heinze was first arrested shortly after he called 911 on August 29th to report finding his “whole family” beaten to death. He was charged with drug possession, lying to investigators and tampering with evidence. On Friday, the night of the viewings, he was briefly released on bond, but re-arrested hours later. Tyler Heinze, the accused’s 16-year-old brother, stated that police followed him and his brother on Friday, and parked behind them when they stopped to talk, as if they knew there were going to arrest him again. Stating that they received two key pieces of information that led them to believe Heinze, Jr. was guilty, police re-arrested him Friday night. Police have still not revealed the “two key pieces” of information that led them to re-arrest Heinze.
Suggested motives for the crime have been a drug deal gone bad, somebody double crossing somebody and, more recently, a $25,000 settlement awarded Guy Heinze, Sr. in a lawsuit the week before the murders concerning a trailer he owned. The money had not been released, and the award was under appeal.
Heinze, Jr. is facing eight counts of murder in the deaths of Rusty Toler Sr., his four children, Chrissy, Michael, Russell Jr. and Michelle Toler, his wheelchair bound sister, Brenda Falagan, Guy Heinze, Sr. and Joseph West, Chrissy Toler’s boyfriend. He also faces one count of attempted murder in the attack on three-year-old Byron Jimmerson, Chrissy Toler’s son, who remains on a respirator in a Savannah Hospital. According to family members, while Heinze, Sr. and Toler, Sr. considered themselves brothers, inseparable since childhood, they were not blood related.
Sadly, it is looking more and more as if Guy Heinze, Jr., may be guilty of these murders. When information was released that gunshot wounds were the cause of death, my investigative skills kicked in gear when I remembered that, in the 911 call, Heinze said it looked like his family had been beaten to death. To me this meant, if they had indeed been shot, Heinze couldn’t have been guilty because it appeared he didn’t know the cause of death. Today’s revelation puts that theory to rest.
But it is still hard to believe that one person could have beaten eight people to death with four grown men and one teenage boy in that trailer. And when you beat eight people to death, you have to have blood on you and marks from the victims fighting back. In a TV interview as he was leaving the funeral Saturday, Tyler Heinze stated that when he saw Guy Heinze, Jr. two hours before the 911 call, he didn’t have any blood or a mark on him. And so the saga continues.
Previous articles on this subject:
Georgia Massacre Victims Identified; Burial Set for Victims of Georgia Massacre; Guy Heinze, Jr. charged with murder in Georgia Massacre; Teenage Brother of Murder Suspect Insists He’s Innocent; Details Emerge About Georgia Slaying Victims; Tyler Heinze Speaks to the Media After Funeral
AustrailanNews.com; ABCNews; CNN.com