Getting rid of split ends has never been an easy task. It is a very common problem faced by many people who style their hair, use chemicals or dyes, blow dry it, or if you do not get your hair cut on a routine basis.
A split end is a harmless annoyance. It happens when the cuticle of the hair is dried out and stripped away at the end, and the hair splits down the middle. Most hair products on the market do not remove the damage caused from split ends, as the hair is already dead, and no cream, spray, or masque will bring it back to life. Many of these so called “miracle hair products” contain silicon, which coats the hair and fills in the rough spots, resulting in a temporary look of smoother hair. However, some people find that silicon products dry out their hair, actually causing more breakage!
Unfortunately, it can take years for split end hairs to grow out naturally. The split ends can be manually snipped using sharp scissors (embroidery scissors are great), but sometimes it can be difficult to know where the breakage occurs in the hair. This can be time consuming if the hairs are trimmed individually. If you trim the hair below the breakage point, the split end will come right back. It is encouraged to trim your hair regularly and remove these split ends since if you delay, the splits can travel up the shaft of the hair over time and can easily get tangled or torn. Getting routine hair cuts is a good idea for anyone who has split ends and wants to improve the health of their hair. Routine trims prevent a person from having to cut their hair drastically and causes no significant trauma to the person or their hair!
Tips to Prevent Split-Ends
1. Minimize damage to hair by avoiding excessive blow drying, using hair straighteners, hair dyes, or curling irons. Let your hair air dry!
2. Take multivitamins and eat healthy. A healthy body is reflected with health hair.
3. Keep your hair pulled back, even when you are sleeping, to avoid friction which can weaken and damage hair.
4. Avoid using shampoo every day, as this can lead to drying your hair out. Use a deep moisturizer frequently to prevent breakage.
5. Use a comb that has wide teeth or a brush with soft, not plastic, bristles.
6. Some people say that sleeping on a satin pillow case will reduce split ends.
Secret At Home Remedies
Mix vitamin E capsules with warm water and apply the mixture to wet hair and leave in overnight. Substitutes for the vitamin E and warm water mixture include coconut and almond oil. It may help to put a warm, wet towel over your head or a shower cap for approximately 25 minutes to help your hair increase the absorption of oils.
An excellent at-home deep conditioning treatment can be made by warming a couple ounces of olive oil. Apply the oil treatment to your hair for about 15-20 minutes, and if possible, during this time, wrap your hair in a towel, and then shampoo it out.