Thanks to all of you who have been reading my articles. It really is an immense pleasure knowing that someone is reading your creation and must be getting some benefit themselves too.
Writing for Associated Content has been rewarding so far in terms of meeting more contributors, getting their comments and advice. It has surely added value to my writing and also given me a creative outlet.
For those of you who are reading this first time, here is a quick link for my previous articles on increasing page views.
As promised I am back with an update on my real time learning in this process.
My journey to achieve 3,000 page views taught me the following:
1) Write a timely article —Writing a timely article pays off. My article on Mother’s Day gift ideas was submitted a bit late so by the time it got published Mother’s Day was already gone. I hardly had any views for that article. As far as I am concerned it was one of my best contributions but the timing was not right. Hence, always write keeping in mind when you expect the article to be published. Write in advance.
2) Learn from mistakes— I wrote on Father’s Day Gift Ideas later. This time it was spot-on. It got published couple of days before Father’s Day and to my surprise it reached 200 hits the very first day. I was really surprised. Advance planning does wonders. Moreover, I tried to give gift ideas which are really heartfelt and inexpensive. A great boon in current economic situation. Learning from mistakes definitely pays off in longer run.
3) Always add a photo – Earlier I had written many articles without a photo or picture. Overtime I realized that I was clicking on articles with pictures more than those without pictures. Whenever you can and whenever its relevant you should add a picture to your article. It surely increases page views as it helps in creating interest towards the article. There are few basic copyright rules you must know before adding the pictures though.
4) Write on a wide variety– I suggest that initially one should write on a wide variety of articles to know for themselves which ones they really enjoy the most. Once you identify the ones you enjoy more then chose that because anyways you will write more on them and hence will increase your quality of writing and hence the views. Like I still have to figure out which ones are my best. I seem to equally enjoy crafts, parenting, travel, medicine, content writing.
5) Give specific and useful information: With the overwhelming amount of information available on internet it is sometimes difficult to find the right kind of information you are looking for. For example if you look up in google for campsites in Wisconsin Dells you will get a more than 109,000 hits. Finding the contact number and availability of say top 10 will take you a lot of time and more so if you are planning just 2 days before your planned vacation. Some ready to use information and reviews at one place really helps. This is what motivated me to write about Wisconsin Dells campsites when I researched for our last minute vacation during July 4th long weekend. I did receive good response on this article. It’s summer, it’s camping time and it does have specific details.
6) A good article earns views on its own: One of my articles on periodontal surgery is doing exceptionally well. I didn’t do much for its promotion but it does have regular views. That suggests that a well written article does find readership.
7) Take advice from Successful Content Producers: I am not really good at this as I hardly find any time being an active member or communicator with other producers but I did get in touch with couple of them and the motivation you get from them really inspires you. My sincere thanks to the producers like Michelle who in spite of being so busy took out the time to drop words of inspiration and praise. It does matter for beginners like us.
8) Perfect your SEO technique: Though I am still working on it, I must say that I am getting better at it. Increasing page views have a lot to do with how you use the SEO technique in your writing. The better it is, the more views you get. Remember to use proper tags and a headline which a reader might type in Search Engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing. This increases your chances on coming on the very first page and that might get you some hits for sure.
9) Concentrate on writing more not on more page views: I must admit that I am little fanatic about page views. More views motivate me and less demotivate. The day my article gets published and gets more views, I get so motivated that I start writing on so many topics. But the day I see none of my articles are having more views I stop writing for weeks. This is not something which will help you earn more views. Try to be regular. More articles create more interest and anyways will add up to more page views.
10) Learn from others efforts: It’s a good idea to read other successful contributors and learn from them. Many of them provide great tips for writing better articles and increasing page views too. Learn from them too. It will save you time. If you would like to discuss anything and rather advice too, you are most welcome. Will keep updating my learning so that many more can learn from it.