A few short years ago my husband and I embarked on a complete kitchen remodel in a home that we were planning to place up for sale. This remodel included all new cabinets and counter tops. We ordered ready to assemble kitchen cabinets that we installed ourselves. This meant that we had to measure our entire kitchen and decide exactly which cabinets we would need. Here is a guide that can help anyone doing a DIY kitchen cabinet installation. This will outline measuring your kitchen in preparation for deciding on cabinets to install.
1) You will need a sketch pad and a pencil to begin your dream remodel. Sit down and simply draw a sketch of your current kitchen. Also draw a sketch of your dream kitchen. This will give you an idea of which cabinets that you will want to go where. This is your total wall dimensions.
2) Take your sketch of your current kitchen and prepare to write down all measurements in neat and easy to read penmanship.
3) Take a tape measure and measure every wall from the left corner to the far right corner. Write your measurements down on your kitchen sketch. Please remember to measure all walls at floor level and ceiling level. Measure in inches. Always go by the smallest dimension of the measurements.
4) Now it is time to measure each wall and record this on your drawing. When measuring a wall section you will do it in unites such as a wall is considered from one corner to a doorway or a window. You will also need to measure each window or door and then record these measurements. Please remember that any time you measure a window or a door you must measure from the outside edge of the trim. You do not measure the interior of the doorway. Record all of these measurements on your sketch.
5) You will add up all the measurements in Step Four and make sure that they add up to the measurements in Step one. This will let you know that you have measured correctly.
6) Now you will need to find your true centerline of your sink. To do this begin at one end of the wall and measure to the middle of the sink. Record this measurement. Now go to the other side of the sink and measure from that wall to the center of the sink. Record this measurement.
7) Now it is time to measure from floor to ceiling. Measure each wall in two locations and record the measurements. Go with the smallest measurement.
8) Now measure all electrical outlets and light fixtures and record this on your drawing.
9) Be sure to measure all appliances and record these on your sketch where you have drawn them in.
10) Always note which way doors open on your sketch.
11) Make sure that all of your measurements are a hundred percent accurate so your new kitchen cabinets will fit correctly.
Many online cabinet manufacturers offer software at their websites where you can also record all of your measurements to create a virtual kitchen using their cabinets. This is a fantastic tool to utilize at home from the comfort of your own computer and I highly recommend it. It will help you choose which cabinets will look best, fit well, and also give you a wonderful idea of what your remodel will look like when complete.