Homemade Christmas gifts can be a great choice for the special people on your Christmas list this year. Not only will it save you money but it also allows you to let the person you are giving it to know you cared enough to make something just for them.
Even if your are not a crafty person you can make any of the following do it yourself Christmas gift ideas for a fraction of the cost of a store bought gift.
Fleece No Sew Blankets Blankets
Handmade Fleece blankets are an easy do it yourself Christmas gift that anyone is sure to love. They can be made for babies, kids, teens adults and even pets. Choose fleece in your intended recipients favorite colors, patterns or characters to further personalize this warm and cozy gift.
- Yardstick or Ruler
- Two Yards of Two Coordinating Pieces of Fleece Fabric
- 4″ by 4″ inch square of paper
- Put two pieces of Fleece together. One side will be the top of your blanket, the other side will be the bottom of your blanket.
- Cut off any selvage around the outside edge of the fleece. Be careful not to cut more than two inches in and cut as straight as possible.
- Place the 4″ inch square on each corner and trace around with chalk.
- Cut out each 4″ inch corner squares. This will make it easier when you start tying the blanket togethe.r
- Place your ruler on the fleece four inches from the edge and draw a line from one corner to the other with the chalk.
- Repeat on all sides.
- Cut 1″ wide strips up to the chalk line on all sides. Each strip will be 4″ by 1″.
- Starting on one side tie ever other two strips together in a knot using one strip from each side of the fleece.
- Continue all the way around the whole piece of fleece.
- Flip over and tie the remaining strips together in a knot. This method will help both sides of your finished blanket to look more uniform and make the knotted fringes look better.
Tip To make it harder for the knots to come out during laundering tie in a double knot instead of a single knot.
Your no sew fleece blanket is now complete and will make some one an excellent homemade Christmas gift.
These make great gifts for gardeners or anyone who enjoys being outdoors.A variety of materials can be used in the garden stone to customize this gift for each recipient on your list.
- Plastic Plant Saucers
- Stepping Stone Concrete or Quick Set Concrete
- Embellishments like mosaic tiles, shells, polished stones, beads etc
- Sharpened Pencil
- Measuring Cup
- Old Bucket
- Wooden Paint Stirrer
- Protective Gloves
- Plastic Table Cloth
- Cover work area with plastic table cloth.
- Set out all supplies.
- Measure and mix concrete in a bucket according to package directions.
- Pour concrete into plastic plant mold.
- Tap around your mold o remove any air bubbles and smooth out the top.
- Allow concrete to set, usually about one hour.
- Once concrete has set press embellishments into the wet cement in whatever pattern you’ve chosen.
- Use the pencil to add a favorite quotation, inscription or just the date if you desire
- Allow to dry completely, usually two to three days. Do not move or disturb during this time.
- Once completely dry pop out of the mold.
- You now have a great homemade gift to give to any gardener on your list. This project also makes a great gift for grandparents or moms from children.
Mexican Hot Chocolate In A Jar
There are many different types of mixes in a jar you can make. My personal favorite is Mexican Hot Cocoa. A perfect warm up on any cold winter day. A little cinnamon thrown into the mix gives a Mexican zip to traditional hot cocoa mix.
- Canning Jar with lid
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. powdered vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups powdered milk
- 6″ by 6″ square of decorative fabric
- 12 ” ribbon
- Bowl for mixing
- Spoon to stir with
- Hole punched card stock gift tag
- Measure all ingredients into bowl.
- Mix together.
- Pour into glass canning jar.
- Put on lid and seal tightly
- Place decorative cloth over lid and tie with a ribbon.
- Tie a gift tag to one end of the ribbon that says: To Make Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix contents of jar with three cups of boiling water and beat with a whisk. Makes 6 servings
Homemade Doggie Treats
These homemade treats are the perfect gift for the dog or dog owner on your list. They are easy to make and dogs love them.Wrapped in plastic and placed in a new doggie bowl wrapped in cellophane they make a really cute gift.
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons dry parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- Rolling Pin
- Cutting board
- Cookie Sheet
- Access to an oven
- Set out all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Dissolve 2 teaspoons dry yeast in a large bowl with 1/2 cup warm water
- Mix in 2 tablespoons parsley, 2 tablespoons garlic,1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 3 tablespoons honey, and egg.
- Slowly add 5 cups wheat flour until it forms a stiff dough.
- Place on a floured cutting board and knead until smooth.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use a bone shaped cookie cutter to cut out several bones. If you don’t have a bone shaped cookie cutter then any shape will do
- Gather dough scraps and roll out again to cut more bone shapes from. Repeat until you’ve used all the doggie treat dough.
- Place cutout bones on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Flip over and cook for another 15 minutes or until lightly browned
- Let cool overnight
- Wrap in plastic or store in an air tight container.
This homemade treat is a Christmas gift that’s sure to please any dog and their owner too.
Tip Write out this recipe and include with gift so after these treats are gone more can be made.
Who doesn’t need a calendar? This year print your own to hand out as gifts. Don’t forget to add your own unique touches like pictures ,quotes, and special days.
- Calendar Template http://www.hp.com/hho/hp_create/calendars-standard_monthly.html
- Uploaded Photos
- List of Special Dates
- 13 8 1/2″ by 11″ Card stock papers
- Hole Punch
- Choose your favorite Calendar template from several free designs to choose from
- Follow the prompts given
- Select your favorite photos for each month
- Download and print calendar
- Print Calendar
- Put pages together
- Punch two holes in top center of calendar and insert brads to hold the pages together.
Your do it yourself Calendar is now ready to be the perfect Christmas gift for someone special.
Any of these five do it yourself projects will make a great homemade gift for that special someone on your Christmas list this year. You’ll feel great knowing you made it yourself and your recipient will love that you took the time to make a homemade Christmas present just for them.