Ever since Apple launched the MacBook Air, the world’s thinnest laptop, Dell has been hard at work to create a rival, and they’ve succeeded. The Dell Adamo XPS not only has a much better price than the Apple MacBook Air, but it also has now officially become the world’s thinnest laptop. The Adamo XPS is scheduled to be released sometime before Christmas 2009. Before you head out to get the worlds thinnest laptop, here’s what you need to know.
1) Obviously by the title “world’s thinnest laptop”, you know it’s going to be thin. Very thin. The Dell Adamo XPS measures in at only 9.99 mm. It’s thin, but it’s sturdy. It’s great to slide into your back pack, briefcase, or just carry yourself.
2) The battery life is one of the best I’ve ever seen on a laptop, by far. Most laptops have a 3 hour battery life or so. The Adamo XPS features lithium ion technology and a battery with over 5 hours of battery life, plus it gives you the option to purchase an additional battery which you can then swap in and out of the laptop really easily to make it virtually charged at all times. That makes it one of the only laptops of it’s kind to feature a virtually unlimited battery life if you purchase the additional battery, and if you don’t, then it still has over 5 hours of battery life.
3) The display is crystal clear, and the screen is great. The Dell Adamo XPS features a 13.4 inch wide screen display in 16:9 HD display. If you’re using this laptop for videos and photos, they’ll turn out crystal clear. For being so thin, the screen is almost perfect.
4) The Dell Adamo XPS is full of features that most users have either never seen in a laptop before, or would only think to find in a very pricey laptop. For example- it has a captive color strip located on the front edge of the Adamo XPS. If you run your finger over that strip, the lid opens with just a click. Very very cool.
5) The connectivity features are great. It comes standard with WiFi built in, and an option to upgrade to the Dell Bluetooth 2.1 adapter. The connectivity speed is fast and the built in WiFi is terrific.
6) It comes with great software pre-loaded, such as Windows 7 Home Office, and other programs.
1) If you’re planning to use your laptop on your lap (not on a hard surface, such as a desk) it may not be the most user friendly. The reason for this is the laptop opens sort of like a kick stand. It’s designed to help the laptop stay cooler (and it definitely does) which is a great feature, but it’s not very user-friendly for just lounging with it on the couch. It needs to be used on a hard surface of some type.
2) The keyboard is great, but it will take some getting used to. It’s a full sized keyboard, with metal key caps which is perfect. However, it will feel a little weird at first (maybe because of the metal) but it’s just another thing that adds to the sturdy design, and great features. If you’re willing to give the keyboard a little bit of patience, it’ll really pay off in the end.
3) The price is still high, but it’s not anywhere near as bad as some other rival laptops made by Apple, for example. The Adamo XPS retails for about $1,800 starting out, but if you want to add some more options and features (like the additional battery, the BlueTooth, etc) then it could run upwards of $2,000 and over.
1) The Adamo XPS has no built-in optical drive, which some users may not like. The reason for this is in order to keep it thin, Dell cut out the built-in optical drives but allows users to purchase optional DVD burners and blu-ray burners that are external.
The Bottom Line
The Dell Adamo XPS is not only the worlds thinnest laptop, but one of the worlds best laptops. It comes loaded with features that you’d never expect to find. For being so thin, Dell did a fantastic job not cutting out any of the core features and not skimping on anything. The laptop is fully packed, and fully ready. It’s a definite must have for work, school, the Holiday season, and more.
To purchase the Dell Adamo XPS go to the official Dell website.