After watching the slideshow for Act 1 of the 7-Act play called “No Bullies in the Kingdom,” students will discuss the five main idea discussion questions for this act.
Watch slideshow for Act 1 – No Bullies in the Kingdom
Let’s discuss Act 1
1. Teacher asks: How did the fire get started in the first place?
Students Respond: A man dropped a cigarette on the ground underneath a tree. The tree was the home of hundreds of bees, some crows, and some squirrels.
2. Teacher asks: How did the fire get put out?
Students Respond: Super Spy Squirrel found Carl Coyote and asked him to put out the small fire before it grew into a large forest fire. Carl Coyote stomped the fire out with his tail and his paws.
3. Teacher asks: In real life, it is doubtful and animal would know to do what Coyote did. Its instinct would be to run away. So how could that fire really be stopped?
a. Someone would have to notice that the cigarette had caused a fire. Then they could have called the fire department.
b. Someone could get a fire extinguisher and try to put it out.
c. Someone could get some fallen tree branches and try to stomp it out.
d. Someone could throw dirt and water on the fire to try to stop it from growing.
4. Teacher asks: According to Smokey Bear.com, “In 2007, there were 12,261 wildfires caused by lightning but 73,446 wildfires caused by human error.” What are some other ways people could accidentally or purposely cause a forest fire?
a. Someone didn’t completely put out their campfire.
b. Someone was playing with matches or a lighter.
c. Someone was using fireworks that landed on dry brush.
d. Someone was burning debris or leaves and sparks flew.
e. Someone flicked a lit cigarette from a fast-moving car.
f. Someone had malfunctioning equipment like a lawnmower.
5. Teacher asks: Smokey Bear’s motto states: “Only you can prevent forest fires.” Describe some ways we can prevent forest fires and wild fires.
a. If you drop a cigarette or flick it from a car, make certain it is no longer lit.
b. Make certain you put out your campfires completely out.
c. Don’t play with matches or lighters.
d. Don’t leave your dries leaves and debris fires unattended.
e. Be watchful over your power equipment so it doesn’t throw sparks.
f. Be careful when you light fireworks that they don’t cause a fire.
Resources and further reading:
From Smokey Bear.com – “In 2007, there were 12,261 wildfires caused by lightning but 73,446 wildfires caused by human error.”
From Wikipedia.org – Smokey Bear’s motto states: “Only you can prevent forest fires.”
One of Debbie’s articles from Associated Content.com – Forest Fires: Manmade vs. Natural Causes
In 2007, there were 85,707 reported wildfires. Only a little over 14% of those fires were due to lightning strikes. The other nearly 86% of those wildfires were caused by the careless or intentional actions of man. Could they have been prevented?