Test yourself on your knowledge about the Catholic Faith – A continuation. You may be surprised at how much you know.
1) The principal mass vestment worn by the priest, in the color of the church season, is:
a. Amice b. Alb c. Cincture d. Chasuble
2) At what age must a Catholic begin to abstain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays of Lent?
a. 7 b. 12 c. 14 d. 16
3) What was the name of the father of Mary, the Mother of God?
a. Zachary b. Joachim c. Simeon d. David
4) What language did Jesus speak?
a. Hebrew b. Greek c. Palestinian d. Aramaic
5) What was the occupation of Esau, the brother of Jacob?
a. Hunter b. Farmer c. Shepherd d. Weaver
6) What is the meaning of the word “Angel”?
a. Guardian b. Spirit c. Messenger d. Helper
7) What is the name of the small hand-held container which carries the Sacred Host to the homes of the sick?
a. Paten b. Pyx c. Censer d. Thurible
8) In the Jewish faith, the Day of Atonement is called what?
a. Yom Kippur b. Hannukah c. Purim d. Rosh Hashanah
9) In the Catholic Church, when does the ecclesiastical year begin?
a. Easter Sunday b. First Sunday of Advent c. Pentecost Sunday d. Christmas Day
10) How many American Cardinals are presently (2009) in the College of Cardinals?
a. 7 b.13 c. 21 d. 27
11) The first five books of the Bible are called what?
a. Talmud b. Scriptures c. Pentateuch d. New Testament
12) The vessel on which the priest places the Sacred Host at mass is called what?
a. Paten b. Chalice c. Monstrance d. Grail
13) Who was the Pope who would not declare invalid Henry VIII’s marriage to Catherine of Aragon so that he could marry Anne Boleyn in the Catholic Church?
a. Leo X b. Julian II c. Adrian VI d. Clement VII
14) Which apostle, upon first being told of Jesus, said “Can anything good come from Nazareth?
a. Philip b. Nathanael c. Andrew d. James
15) The sequence known as “Dies Irae” would most likely be sung on which occasion?
a. Easter Sunday b. Wedding c. Funeral d. Graduation
16) In the Old Testament, who was Samuel’s teacher?
a. Eli b. David c. Jonathan d. Saul
17) Which saint helped St. Clare found the Poor Clares?
a. St. John of the Cross b. St. Francis of Assisi c. St. Ignatius of Loyola d. St. Vincent de Paul
18) What color vestments does the priest wear in “ordinary time”?
a. White b. Blue c. Gold d. Green
19) What is the name of the book containing the scriptures read by the priest at mass?
a. Breviary b. Divine Office c. Lectionary d. Missal
20) The part of the church where mass is celebrated is know as what?
a. Sanctuary b. Sacristy c. Oratory d. Presbytery
1. d 2. c 3. b 4. d 5. a 6. c 7. b 8. a 9. b 10. b 11. c 12. a 13. d 14. b 15. c 16. a. 17. b
18. d 19. c 20. a