Many years ago New York City had the reputation of being crime-ridden and dangerous for travelers. Nowadays, even with a population of eight million, times have changed. New York City has been nominated for several years as one of the 10 safest cities to travel to. Women traveling solo can be relatively safe if they adhere to a few travel safety tips and use common sense.
New York City is really no different then any other large city when it comes to safety. A person simply needs to use common sense and try not to look like a tourist. Here are several travel safety tips for NYC for women who are considering traveling alone to the city for a vacation or simple city getaway.
1) Try not to look like a tourist. Walk with an air of confidence. Do not talk to panhandlers or swindlers. If a person like this addresses you then simply look the other way and keep on walking. Do not give them the time of day. The streets are filled with petty thieves who make a living from swindling tourists so do not give the appearance you are a tourist. Simply try to fit in with the locals.
2) If you want to ride on the subway ride in cars with people and stay near crowds of people Try to avoid traveling after 11 p.m.
3) Only ride in marked taxi cabs.
4) If you have valuables then lock them in the hotel safe.
5) If you want to wear expensive jewelry to the theater or somewhere then keep it hidden away while on the streets.
6) Try to wear understated clothing. Do not try to draw attention to yourself. Avoid wearing sexy clothing. Try to just look modest so no one really notices you.
7) When carrying a purse keep your hands on it.
8) Manhattan is normally safe during the day time and into the evening. Times Square is safe at night. Most major tourist sites are also safe. Harlem is safe during the day. There is a debate about Alphabet City. Some people say a woman alone should only ride in a cab there to be safest.
9) Always keep your cell phone handy.
10) Let people know where you plan to be from day to day.
11) Try to avoid talking with strange men. If you must ask directions then try to ask women or families.
12) Try not to go out to clubs alone in New York City. Yes the city is known for its vast nightlife but going to a club alone in a city that you do not know is dangerous.
13) Avoid being too friendly with people. Do not talk about your life or offer any information about yourself to anyone even hotel staff or restaurant staff.
14) Always avoid Central Park and Riverside Park at night.
These tips will help to keep you safe but the most important safety tip that you can utilize is just basic common sense when traveling in a large city.