A few years ago I woke up in a 600 sq ft apartment. I realized very quickly that I had to become an organization expert in order to sustain my mental well-being! Being that I was also relatively broke, I had to figure out how to become an expert on a very tight budget.
There is one small item that has literally saved my sanity over the last few years! It is the small plastic basket weave containers sold at the Dollar Store for 2 for a $1. I can’t imagine my life without these.
I have learned some unique places to use these and maybe these tips will help you on your organization quest. It really is not necessary to invest hundreds of dollars in fancy pull out cabinet contraptions, closet shelving, or massive new pieces of furniture to organize your possessions.
The small baskets are found all over my current house. Luckily they can be purchased in a variety of sizes from large to small. I use them in the following ways in the following areas:
Closet: I use one of these for small items that have landed in the closet because they have no where else to go. I also use these to store the following:
1) Flip-flops. Lay the flip-flops opposite ends together and you can fit 3-4 pair in one basket.
2) House shoes can be done the same way as flip-flops.
3) If you keep socks in your closet, these baskets are wonderful for socks or pantyhose, trouser socks, etc.
4) Rolled tank tops are easily stored in these baskets. One basket will hold 4-5 tank tops.
Bathroom: I use the smallest ones (approximately 2″ wide x 6″ long) in all my bathroom cabinet drawers. Two will fit side by side and they are wonderful for holding nail polishes, nail files, small scissors, razor blades, and tweezers.
Bedroom: Wonderful additions to your drawers in the chest. Items stored work better if they are “rolled up” vs. being folded.
1) bras and panties, boxer shorts, t-shirts
Kitchen: All of my kitchen cabinets have these cheap plastic containers in them. It makes life so much easier when you can grab a basket full of spices or mixes vs. all these items being loose in your cabinet. I use them for:
1) Packages of mixes. Such as gravy packages, taco mix packages, packaged rice, packaged potatoes, etc.
2) All my spices are in these baskets for easy reach and organization.
3) Small can goods. Such as the single serving size.
Child’s room: Perfect for crayon storage, books, small toy items. The children can see through the mesh and seewhat’s in the basket. Makes it easy for them and easy for you.
Aside from the small baskets, one other idea for closet organization is to put a small bookcase in your closet(picked up at a thrift store) and place your closet baskets on the bookcase. Works like a charm!
Organizing is essential to a well run house. For me, it was a case of necessity. I no longer live in a 600 sq. ft. apartment but I still use these little baskets everywhere. The small innocent baskets have tons of uses and they make accessibility to items easier. No matter how much space you have, organizing on the cheap is the key to utilizing your space and saving your budget.