Caustic poison for dogs is found all over a dog owner’s home, just waiting for the unsuspecting dog to take a drink of it and cause all types of damage to its body. Caustic poison is found in the laundry room. Here is where the dog owner keeps their laundry detergent, bleach, household cleaners and maybe even drain cleaner. There is also caustic poisoning in most rooms that are inhabited by a female. Here is where there is likely fingernail polish and remover. Outside in the garage is probably the most common place for Caustic poison to be kept, this is where there is motor oil, battery acid and kerosene. Even though ingestion of caustic poisons is not common as they do not smell inviting or taste inviting to the dog, it does happen. When it does happen, the poison burns everything it touches on the dog, from its lips to its stomach, which includes its mouth, tongue, esophagus and stomach. These burns from the caustic poisoning of the dog will cause the perforation of the dog’s esophagus and/or stomach which then allows food and saliva to leak into the dog’s chest or abdomen where deadly infections can be the end result. Burns from caustic poisoning may cause scarring of the esophagus and/or stomach.
Symptoms that dog owners may notice associated with caustic poisoning are excessive drooling or slobbering, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, coughing, regurgitating, a sore throat, and difficulty breathing. All of these symptoms are easy to recognize and when associated with caustic poisoning, these symptoms will suddenly appear. Caustic poisoning is very dangerous, thus as soon as the owner has noticed their dog with these symptoms, they should immediately take the dog to the veterinarian (vet) for a proper diagnosis and treatment that can save the dog’s life.
Diagnosing caustic poisoning in dogs by a vet will begin as with any other visit to the vet clinic with a brief medical history of the dog followed by a physical exam. Then the vet will decide what will be used to determine the cause of the symptoms that the dog is displaying. If caustic poisoning is suspected, the vet may use an endoscope which will be put into the dog’s esophagus, allowing the vet to see any burns and the severity of the burns if they exist.
Treatment will begin as soon as the vet completes diagnosing the dog. Often the treatment will be as simple as merely watching the dog closely, making sure that the symptoms do not become worse or life-threatening. Warm milk or water given in large amounts may also be recommended by the vet and in extreme cases, surgery may be warranted.