SHOULD A MARRIED WOMAN BE ABLE TO CHOOSE ABORTION, ALONE?
I thought in depth about the consequences versus the benefits of such a dilemma. My final decision was “No, I don’t think a married woman should have the right to choose abortion, totally on her own..” However, my decision is laced with several “it depends.”
Allow me to present my arguments in four progressively critical arguments;
1) The body does not belong to the woman. She is borrowing it while she is on earth.
2) Taking a life, any life, is a decision reserved for one being, God.
3) She did not create this life all by herself, the decision is not hers alone, to make.
4) Given the right to abort only serves to undermine any reasons for chastity.
1) A woman’s body is only being used by the inner spirit until the body breaks down and withers away. All of us, men and women, are merely borrowing these flesh and blood vehicles while we are here on earth. They are not ours. It is not up to us to do with them as we please. We need to ask the landlord if we can misuse them. The landlord? Why Jesus Christ of course.
Jesus Christ gives us the vehicle we need to get around this earth for the time we are here. Go to the Lord and ask for his permission to cut out a living piece of your body and dispose of it. If we could but view this and all other body disfiguring questions in this manner we may come up with different conclusions. Ask the landlord and consider his response. WWJD? What would Jesus do?
2) Abortion is, no matter how you want to look at it, the taking of another life. It doesn’t matter how you “spin” it, you are killing another human being. Life begins when the fetus is first formed. To pull it out by the roots and dispose of it, is the same as murder. We have civil laws against taking another’s life.
I know the question of when is a baby living still goes unanswered, definitively anyway, but there are known facts about the fetus we should be aware of.
A) Is our fetus a living being when it gets an identity, a face? When does our fetus get a face? It is known that at about 4 months the fetus has a full, complete face.
B) Does the fetus begin life when it gains lungs, kidneys and other organs required to sustain life? If so, the fetus is alive at 3 months.
C) Does life require brain activity? Is that what it takes? Electroencephalogram records fetus brain activity at about 2 months. Activity has been recorded at 40 days.
D) Maybe when the heart begins to beat our fetus begins to live. The heart begins to beat in about 18 days after conception. Within 21 days the fetus is pumping its own blood through its own body, totally independent of the Mother.
Its difficult to argue that life does not begin with our fetus upon conception. If nothing else, the fetus is a living being at 3 weeks; the heart is beating and pumping life-giving blood throughout the little thing. To abort at or beyond three weeks is the same as murder.
What is there that diminishes the rights of a fetus to less than those of a three year old child, an adolescent or an adult. Does the law against murder get stronger the older the murdered is? Is the law against killing a three year old any more lenient than the law against killing an 85 year old? Is it less criminal to kill a three year old than it is to kill an 85 year old? What would ever make anyone think that killing a 3 month old or a 6 month old baby would be any different than killing a newborn child? Should a Mother be given the right to kill her newborn child also? Does it belong to her like she thinks the fetus does?
3) A woman does not have a baby on her own. It doesn’t matter whether we used sperm banks, test tubes or natural methods; the woman did not act on her own. There is always someone else involved. That means someone else has every bit as much authority to control the fate of the unborn as the woman does.
An even stronger case against the woman having that right is when a 12 year old gets pregnant and goes to Planned Parenthood to get the abortion. The 12 year old should not be the one to make the decision with only the help of a Planned Parenthood representative assisting her. The Father must be involved as well as those who are recognized as having responsibility for her, her parents. Would you want your 12 year old to go through an abortion without your guidance and direction?
4) Giving women the right to do what they want with their pregnancies only diminishes the importance of restraint and sexual control. It’s no different than schools handing out prophylactics or health centers providing drug addicts with clean needles. Why bother trying not to have sex if I can get a free abortion down at Planned Parenthood anyway? Knowing there is a way out only serves to influence the victim making the wrong decision.
I know the argument is going to be “They are going to have sex anyway, might as well give them an out.” But that is not the answer. They are not always going to have sex anyway. There are more virgin girls out there than we might think. We need to enforce and to promote that more than we need to promote free sex because everything will be taken care of for you.
Not only should a woman not have the right to choose abortion, abortion should simply not be legal under any conditions other than specific, fully defined and researched, life threatening or forced rape situations.