Many women only dream of having an authentic designer bag in their wardrobe. Some make it a reality. Others are just as happy to settle for a replica or “fake” bag. According to hubpages.com, 38% of women purchase authentic handbags, leaving 62% with “inspired by” choices. Coach is actually considered a designer bag that, on the lower end, can be afforded by many. If you are among the minority of women deciding to splurge on an authentic designer bag, and a real Coach bag is your choice, you certainly don’t want to be ripped off in the process. Your best bet is to purchase from a department store, a Coach store, or Coach Outlet. However, if you choose not to do that, here are some tips that may help you to spot a fake Coach purse.
Check Them Out
First of all, become familiar with how the real Coach handbags actually look and feel. They have a distinguishable quality. You can get an up-close look at Coach purses at a department store such as Dillard’s or Macy’s. Don’t buy a Coach handbag until you’ve come face to face with them several times!
What a Coach Bag Should Have
- Precise Stitching. The stitches are not sloppy or loose on a real Coach. Every stitch will be the same length.
- Excellent quality fabric. Coach leather grows softer, stronger, and more durable with age. Leather is harder to replicate; therefore, many knock-offs choose fabric styles. The true Coach fabrics have a unique feel.
- A recognizable “CC” pattern. Many Coach Handbags include the CC monogram, which is symmetrical from top to bottom. It will not be crooked. Some phony vendors go so far as to actually use different letters, such as an O or a Q, which could be mistaken by a shopper who is not discerning. If the CC pattern is on the inside of the bag, then it will not be on the outside of a true Coach, and vice-versa. Of course, all Coach Handbags do not use the CC pattern.
- A noticeable tag. The Coach letters will be raised on the handbag’s tag. The word Coach will be right in the middle of the tag.
- Form that stands alone. If the purse pulls to one side or the other or “caves in”, it is most likely not a Coach.
- Discernible zippers. The zipper pull is going to be leather, a ring, or a series of rings. The mechanism includes the initials “YKK”.
Buying Your Authentic Coach Handbag
You can purchase a Coach handbag on the Coach website for anywhere from approximately $140 – $1000. They do have “wristlets” that begin at about $58 as well. The Coach handbags at Dillard’s are generally between $200 and $400 each, when not on sale. 50% of authentic bags are purchased on sites such as EBay and Craig’s List by bargain-seekers. Be careful, however, if that is your choice. They are notorious for knock-offs. Ask for detailed pictures of the actual bag. Many sellers on these sites use stock photos and not pictures of the real thing. All Coach Bags include serial numbers on the inside. Although it’s something to investigate, many fake Coach bags will also include serial numbers in an attempt to look more authentic.
If you’ve always wanted to buy a designer handbag, go ahead and treat yourself! The Coach quality is top-notch. Just wait until they’re on sale…and be sure to do your homework first.