Perhaps it’s one of the most overrated movies of all-time, but we can’t help ourselves can we; we love Office Space. Maybe it’s because we can connect with the characters so much, living through their drone lives and performing menial tasks for employers that don’t appreciate us.
Whatever it is, Office Space has found itself a captive audience of devoted fans that have sworn to watch it no matter when it appears on TV. To honor our devotion to this piece of Americana, I’ve selected what could possibly be the ten best quotes from the movie.
– ” ‘PC Load Letter’? What the f@ck does that mean? “ – Michael Bolton(David Herman)
This quote is perfect, because we’ve all had that moment where we thought that we knew everything about the technology we had to work with, only for it to throw some odd ball error at us that no-one has ever heard of or could correct. Invariably, the answer to the problem from those who were supposed to know how to fix it was to “turn it on and off again.”
– “Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That’s my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.” – Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston)
Try and fight it, but you know you’ve been there, stuck in a dead end job that your only reason to come in and do the work in front of you is so that you aren’t disappointing someone else.
– “Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I’m working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I’d say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.“ – Peter Gibbons
Everybody’s dirty secret just got exposed for the entire world to see, including your boss. No more random key punches to get you through the day after this line was muttered.
– “And I said, I don’t care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I’m, I’m quitting, I’m going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they’ve moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn’t bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it’s not okay because if they take my stapler then I’ll set the building on fire… “ – Milton Wadhams (Stephen Root)
Stephen Root may be one of the most underrated character actors in film today. His delivery in this movie reminds almost everyone of one special person in their office. Oh, and I want you all to be honest, how many of you went out and bought the commemorative Office Space kits just so you could get your hands on a red Swingline stapler?
– “Well, maybe you should. You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair that they made the Jews wear.” – Peter Gibbons
This perhaps the subtlest little jab in the film, but well worth noting. It was just a little political statement about freedom being forced on the people.
– “Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don’t have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can’t you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?” – Tom Smykowski (Richard Riehle)
Anyone who has ever worked in customer service has felt this way because let’s face it, there is no good way to explain your job duties when your sole need is to communicate to people that have no idea what they truly want in the first place.
– “I can’t believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We’re looking up “money laundering” in a dictionary. “ – Peter Gibbons
This one is just ironic, because we’ve all spent more time doing such menial tasks as this one, but with the aid of the internet via Wikipedia or Google.
– “It’s not just about me and my dream of doing nothing. It’s about all of us. I don’t know what happened to me at that hypnotherapist and, I don’t know, maybe it was just shock and it’s wearing off now, but when I saw that fat man keel over and die – Michael, we don’t have a lot of time on this earth! We weren’t meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.“ – Peter Gibbons
Yeah, that’s right. Thankfully, someone saw fit to install WiFi all across the world so that we can take our work outside of the cubicle. Just another winning quote from Peter.
– “I’m thinking I might take that new chick from Logistics. If things go well I might be showing her my O-face. “Oh… Oh… Oh!” You know what I’m talkin’ about. “Oh!” “ – Drew (Greg Pitts)
This is perhaps the most quoted line in the movie outside of the last one. Every office has the guy that thinks he is the king, the gift to women so to speak.
– “Yeah, we’re going to need to talk about your TPS repots.” – Bill Lundbergh (Gary Cole)
TPS reports, enough said. No better way than to close this out on that line.
Memorable Quotes – Office Space, IMDB.com
Office Space – Mooviees.com
David Herman, IMDB.com
Ron Livingston, IMDB.com
Stephen Root, IMDB.com
Richard Riehle, IMDB.comGreg Pitts, IMDB.com