Springfield and surrounding area residents can look forward to fun filled events this Thanksgiving holiday. Whether you are at home in Springfield or visiting the area for the holidays, here are some special events you won’t want to miss.
1. The Annual Parade of Big Balloons will start at Tower Square on Friday, November 27, at 11:00 AM. Featured balloons include: The Cat In The Hat, Madeline and The Nutcracker. Tower Square will hold an open house from 11-2 and kids can meet Antonio the Elf, have a photo taken with Santa or participate in a holiday sing a long. The annual event has been held since 1991 and draws approximately 70,000 visitors to welcome Santa Claus to Springfield. For more information contact The Spirit of Springfield at 413 733-3800.
2. The D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts at 21 Edwards Street will host an I Spy scavenger Hunt through out its’ galleries from 11 to 4, on Friday, November 27, 2009. The G.W. V. Art Museum, also on the quadrangle will hold art activities where children can experiment with different techniques from 12 noon to 3:45 pm. At the Springfield Science Museum, the Family Science Adventures program looks at the links between art and science from 1:00 to 3:30. Kids can become forensic experts at tracking stolen art. Finally, back over at the D’Amour Museum, at 1:00, The Mystic Paper Beasts Theater Company will perform an interactive play with the audience reported to be hilarious. Open all day is the Dr. Seuss Memorial Sculpture Garden. All activities are free with the price of admission $12.50 for adults and $6.50 for children, $9.00 for college students with ID, and $9.00 for seniors.. For more information, contact Springfield Museums at 413 263-6600.
3. The Big E Fairgrounds, Better Living Center, in West Springfield, will host the Old Deerfield Christmas Sampler for the 22cnd year beginning on Friday, November 27, with doors opening at 12 noon, running through Sunday November 29th. Billed as the top classic and contemporary craft fair in New England, tickets are $1.00 for children under 12 and $8.00 for adults, for more information go to www;deerfield-craft.org..
4. Sports fans can get their fix of professional basketball when the Springfield Armor takes on the Iowa Energy on Friday, November 27, at 7:00 pm. and again Saturday, November 28, at 12:00 noon in their season opener at the Mass Mutual Center. Tickets can be ordered in advance or at the box office ranging from $7 to $75 depending on seating and availability. For more information call the box office at 413 746-3263.
5. That’s Amore: A Celebration of Dean Martin and Friends will be the special holiday performance at Symphony Hall on 34 Court Street, next to City Hall. The curtain rises on Friday, November 27, at 8:00 pm. Mark Adams stars as Dean, civering such Martin favorites as “Volare”, “That’s Amore” and “Aint That A Kick”. Sponsored by Mercy Medical Center, tickets start at $25. For more information call the box office at 413 788-7033.