Crohn’s disease is a chronic inflammation of the digestive tract. It is an extremely painful condition for sufferers and often embarrassing due to the chronic need need to empty your bowels frequently. Most people try to control the disease with medications and diet. Eventually, virtually all sufferers will require surgery.
Here are twelve tips for people who suffer from Crohns disease to allow them to still have an enjoyable Thanksgiving that will not lead to excessive amounts of pain.
1) Keep your portions small. You do not want to overload your digestive tract. If you keep your portions small you will cut down on inflammation.
2) Take Acacia Fiber before your Thanksgiving meal. Many studies are showing that Acacia fiber helps people who suffer from Crohns disease by colonic fermentation, which decreases gas and bloating.
3) Take a Peppermint Capsule before the big meal. Peppermint will help to prevent cramping, bloating, and bowel irritation. It is a natural anti spasm preventative and it also increases bile production which will help you digest the fatty foods from the Thanksgiving meal. You can purchase these capsules at any health food store or online.
4) Exercise before and after the meal. A brisk walk will aid in your digestion or simply offer to help your hostess with the dishes and leftovers. You need to get up and get moving. Sitting still after a big meal will make your bowels turn sluggish and begin to become inflamed, cramped, and irritated.
5) Be sure to chew your food slowly. The better you chew your food the less work your digestive tract will be forced to provide in the digestion of the food. So take your time and chew your food.
6) After Thanksgiving dinner have a cup of warm Slippery Elm tea to aid in digestion. Slippery Elm is utilized by many sufferers of Crohns disease because it can ease cramps and help with digestion.
7) On the morning of Thanksgiving try to have a nice light breakfast that consists of a active cultured yogurt. The Probiotics in the yogurt will aid in your digestion later in the day when you have the Thanksgiving meal.
8) If you have traveled a long distance to enjoy Thanksgiving with your family then it is imperative that you rest and relax. The stress of travel and any time changes that you have endured will make your Crohns worse and often you will suffer a flair up simply because of the traveling.
9) Be sure to have your Fennel tea with you. Fennel tea has been proven to help with the bloating and the cramping that Crohns causes. If you indulge in a few cups on Thanksgiving day this will aid in the digestion of your meal and to your body feeling better.
10) Try to keep your fat intake low during Thanksgiving. Have only small portions of anything that is fatty or pass on it all together.
11) Stay away from Dairy products during Thanksgiving. Dairy will cause your Crohns to flair up.
12) Eat mashed potato’s that are made out of soy or rice for Thanksgiving.
Remember to follow your dietary guidelines so you will not suffer needlessly. Living with Crohns is difficult on a good day but it is very hard during the Thanksgiving holiday. Try to remember that Thanksgiving is not just about the food but its also about the company we share and being surrounded by our loved ones.