10. Planes Trains and Automobiles (1987) Starring John Candy (Del) and Steve Martin(Neal) possibly one of the best comedic teams on film ever. Steve Martin plays a business man just trying to get home to his family for Thanksgiving. In New York City he meets Del who is traveling the same way as him. John Candy plays an obnoxiously loud shower ring salesman and right away Martin’s character is put off by him. Though Neal keeps trying to get away from him they end up traveling the long way home together and everything that can go wrong does. This is John Hughes at his very best, it’s a wonderful comedy with a little bit of humbleness thrown in at the end of the movie when Neal finds out Del has no one to go home to.This made number ten on my list of comedy’s for the car scene when they drive in between two semi trucks on the freeway and Neal looks over at Del and sees him as the devil makes me laugh every time, truly a classic.
9. Raising Arizona (1987) Stars Nicholas Cage (H.I. Mcdunnough) and Holly Hunter (Edwina Mcdunnough). Edwina is a cop who fell in love with H.I. after he got arrested for robbing convenience stores. After they get married all Edwina wants is a baby but she is infertile and can’t have one of her own. When a rich family has quintuplets they decide that the family won’t really miss one so they kidnap themselves a baby. The rich father of the missing baby hires himself a mercenary on a Harley and thus the comedy ensues . With a great supporting cast that includes John Goodman it is funny from beginning to end. This movie made my list not for one particular scene but for the whole movie in general being one of the Coen brothers firsts this one is sure to please.
8. Super Bad (2007) This one stars Jonah Hill (Seth), Michael Cera (Evan) and Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Fogell). They are three friends trying to get laid and have a good time before college separates them. It is the same premise as most high school to college movies go, get laid go to college more experienced. This one is set apart from any of those other movies though, truly the best. Their quest to get their girls some alcohol in order to get them drunk and in their pants goes all wrong and they end up almost getting beat up at a party almost arrested and everything else in between. This made my list for many reasons but the scene that made me laugh the most was the dance scene between Seth and a woman at a party and a period stain. Just a really funny movie from beginning to end, from the actors, the cops to the clothes that they wore this one is hilarious.
7. There’s Something About Mary (1998) Stars, Ben Stiller (Ted) Cameron Diaz (Mary) and a fully hilarious supporting cast. ( Now I could pretty much have picked any and every one of Ben Stiller’s movies to make the top ten but this made it because there is some truth to the hilarity that happens to men when they see and fawn over that one beautiful woman. It happens to them as teens and adults just the same. This movie put so much of that awkwardness that they go through out there for everyone else to see. Ben Stiller just can’t get things right with her he comes so close but each time things are going good everyone else swoops in to ruin it, or themselves. They just can’t help the way she makes them all feel and the great thing is, she does not even realize it. My personal favorite scene is the big toothed grin of Matt Dillon (Healy) who thinks his new teeth are something that she would find attractive. Every guy wants her and she seems fine without any one of them, truly a funny movie.
6. Amazon Women On The Moon (1987) Arsenio Hall, Steve Guttenberg, Rosanna Arquette, Phil Hartman are just a few of the names in some of these great skits. This movie has some of the most slapstick skits I have seen, from the man whose funeral turned into a roast; to the man whose date is ruined by the truth that came out his credit card/id check. Silly movie the whole way. David Alan Grier as the black man with no soul is funny as can be. My favorite skit is actually the very first one with Arsenio Hall; this poor guy is just having the worst day. Everything is breaking down and someone keeps calling for a Thelma that just is not there and try as he might he just can’t keep his cool. Everyone should see this movie at least once for the Arsenio skit alone.
5. Airplane (1980) I’m sure I might get some negative responses for not putting this one in first place but number five is not too shabby. This is possible the best when it comes to the sheer silliness of it. Leslie Nielsen is a master at the slapstick genre and this one is the absoloute best. Robert Hays and Julie Haggerty are wonderful together as the two ex lovers who must save the day. Can they save the plane and all the people on board? Will he get the girl back in the end? I don’t just recommend watching this movie I recommend owning it and putting it on whenever you feel the need for a good laugh. Every single scene in this movie is laugh worthy.
4. Dumb and Dumber (1994) Stars Jim Carrey (Lloyd) and Jeff Daniels (Harry) (Now no one deserves the award for acting stupid over theses two, I don’t know who was better they were both just so wonderful together as two bumbling idiots. Lloyd will do anything he can to get the briefcase back to it’s rightful owner and Harry will follow Lloyd anywhere. Lloyd and Harry travel cross country to return the briefcase and get into quite the few comedic mishaps along the way. From the cop who drinks the urine; to the guy they accidentally kill by hot peppers this one is possibly Jim Carrey’s funniest performance ever.
3. National Lampoons Vacation (1983) The first one is always the best. This is Chevy Chase in his finest role as Clark Griswold a true family man who just wants to take a nice family vacation trek along the states to end it at the family fun park Wally World. His wife (Ellen) played by Beverly D’ Angelo is the perfect partner as the sane grounded one to his obnoxious over the top happy family dad persona. Anything that can go wrong to ruin his trip does, car accident, lost luggage, dead aunt. The people they meet along the way and the family they go to visit are what make this movie one of the best. I picked this one as third on my list because all this poor guy wants is to have a nice vacation and things never go his way but everything about it is just to funny. When they realize the aunt is dead and they drive with her on the roof top and then just leave her on a door step is too great. My favorite part though is when they stop for lunch and Clark is off to the side flirting with the pretty girl across the way who is played by Christie Brinkley; soon the mom discovers the dog pissed on the sandwiches he then spits it out and looks stupid and the grandma eats it anyways, to funny.
2. Moving (1988) Richard Pryor (Arlo Pear) is wonderful as the father whose job just transferred him to Idaho. He thinks it is a good thing, he can’t wait to get away from his horrible neighbor played by Randy Quaid who has a large completely obnoxious lawn mower and is himself just a real jerk. He tells his family they are moving and they set out on their way to getting it done. From selling the house to finding movers to the man he picks to drive his car to Idaho (Dana Carvy) everything goes wrong. Along the way they pass the driver and realize something is wrong with him, he has multiple personality disorder, as the pass him the look on Arlo’s face is priceless. Once they get to their new home they find out not only does he not have a job but their new neighbor is none other than the twin brother of their last neighbor and guess what he also as a lawn mower the size of Rhode Island. Arlo finally has enough and he makes it known. This one is too great, almost forgotten about it’s a classic comedy with Pryor at his best.
1. Men At Work (1990) Starring Emilio Estevez( James) and Charlie Sheen (Carl) OK this one made my list as number one for two reasons the plot sure it’s a little absurd; two garbage men shoot a man with a pellet gun and find him dead the next day and somehow think they might be responsible for it. They try to get to the bottom of it only to find themselves in the middle of a conspiracy involving politics and illegal toxic dumping. The second reason is Keith David whose character (Louis) is the ride along who is there to observe James and Carl’s behavior. He is a war Veteran who means business and will not take any crap from anyone, well except maybe cops. The two bike riding cops are such great jerks, the kidnapped pizza boy is hilarious. Everyone and everything about this movie is great I can watch it anytime whenever I need a good laugh I put on this movie. If you have not seen it then go rent it today.