I lived in the South for four years and during that time I become familiar with a wide range of Southern traditions. Southern people take food and family meals seriously. This is always a huge event that is to be celebrated. Thanksgiving holds even more significance. If you are lucky enough to be invited to a an Old South traditional Thanksgiving feast you will be awed by the vast array of foods to choose from and the tradition of family that overlays everything.
Here are fifteen tips on how to recreate a true Southern Thanksgiving dinner event.
1) You will need food and lots of it. Southern people have a wide array of dishes to choose from and everyone participates. Guests to a traditional dinner always bring their own homemade traditional dishes to add to the array so you can have a sampling of everything.
2) When it comes to a true South Thanksgiving celebration turkey is not the only main course but a nice spiral ham usually shares centerpiece with the traditional bird. A turkey is just not enough because there needs to be a large succulent ham to truly be traditional.
3) Many people in the deep south deep fry their turkeys in a vat of oil in the back yard or they use more traditional turkey deep fryers. This seems to be a very popular way to cook the holiday birds.
4) The motto of a truly Southern dessert even is pies, pies, and more pies. Everyone seems to be bring a pie to dinner. Each homemade tradition has been a family recipe for generations.
5) Many traditional deep South Thanksgiving dinners also sport wild game that is hunted by the host. Most of these dinner always sport venison or some other wild fowl. Many times the ham that sits beside the turkey is a wild boar that was shot by the host for the special occasion.
6) Corn is normally not served in a bowl but on the cob. You will need to have huge amounts of butter to cover the corn on the cob with to appeal to the southern palate.
7) A vast array of biscuits is also a requirement. Most of the guests will actually bring their own homemade biscuits in pretty baskets. Soon the table seems to be covered with biscuits.
8) Most Southern Thanksgiving meals cannot be contained on one table. The family will have to set up another large table or card tables to simply hold the over abundance of food.
9) Cornbread and collard greens are always a staple on a Southern table.
10) There will always be deviled eggs.
11) There must be two kinds of cranberry sauce, whole and jelly.
12) The meals always sport wine to satisfy every taste.
13) Normally there will be oven baked sweet potato’s but also sweet potato casserole to be enjoyed.
14) The stuffing will often be normal stuffing and also oyster stuffing.
15) There is always a green bean casserole of some sort served and, normally, there is more then one of these casseroles available since they are a favorite for the guests to bring as a dish.
These tips will help anyone create a unique Southern Thanksgiving dinner experience. Remember that when you send out invitations inviting your guests to celebrate in the Old South tradition to ask them to bring their own unique dish and also a pie that is homemade if they desire. This will add to the abundance of dishes that will aid in making the meal truly traditional in flavor.