For some people the medical field is the most interesting and fulfilling field to be a part of. Whether it’s becoming a nurse or a doctor, thousands are making every effort to get into a school to make their dreams come true. Although dreams can happen it can be difficult to get accepted and it is also a challenge trying to figure out which university you’d like to apply to.
There are many questions that aspiring professionals have that must be answered before applying to a university. Research must be done, time must be taken, and information must be gathered, but unfortunately they don’t always have enough time or the ability to do the research. Because of this I decided to make a list of the top 5 medical schools and a little information about them.
1. Creighton University School of Medicine was founded in 1878 and is a Jesuit, Catholic Institution. Their research is focused on bacterial resistance, hearing loss, conditions that cause bone loss, and cancer. The application deadline for the 2010 fall semester is November 1, 2009 and there is a $100.00 application fee. Creighton University School of Medicine is located at 2500 California Plaza in Omaha, Nebraska, and the admissions office can be reached at 402-280-2799. Additional information can be obtained on-line at www.medschool.creighton.edu.
2. Brown University Warren Alpert Medical School is affiliated with seven teaching hospitals and is funded by sponsors which equals to $200 million per year. It has become a national leader in medical education and biomedical research and is Rhode Island’s only medical school. The application deadline for the 2010 fall semester is November 1, 2009 and there is a $95.00 application fee. Brown University is located at 97 Waterman Street in Providence, Rhode Island. Additional information can be obtained on-line at www.med.brown.edu or by contacting the admissions office at 401-863-2149.
3. Duke University School of Medicine was established in 1930 and had the world’s 1st brain tumor program which was established in 1937. In addition, Duke University School of Medicine has a nursing program. The application deadline for the 2010 fall semester is November 15, 2009 and there is an $80.00 application fee. Duke University School of Medicine admissions office is located at DUMC 3710 room 0159 Duke South Durham, North Carolina. You can visit them on-line at www.dukemed.duke.edu or by phone at 919-684-2985.
4. Harvard University Medical School is affiliated with 17 hospitals and institutions, and was established in 1782. Harvard has 6 academic basic science departments and conducts research in several locations around Boston. Applications are accepted November 2, 2009 with the deadline being January 8, 2010 and there is an $85.00 application fee. Harvard University Medical School is located at 25 Shattuck Street in Boston, Massachusetts. For more information Harvard can be found on-line at www.hms.harvard.edu or you can contact the admissions office at 617-432-1550.
5. John’s Hopkins University School of Medicine has repeatedly ranked #2 among the top medical schools and is focused on identifying and answering questions in the mechanisms, prevention and treatment of disease, in health care and in basic sciences. Application deadline is October 15, 2009 and there is a fee of $75.00. John’s Hopkins University School of Medicine is located at 733 North Broadway in Baltimore, Maryland. Additional information can be obtained by calling the admissions office at 410-955-3182 or by visiting their website at www.hopkinsmedicine.org.
It’s important to thoroughly research the University that you would like to attend before submitting an application. These websites will provide information that is essential when making a decision of where you will spend your time and your money.