Back in college, my roommate Jennifer and I often made a meal out of this delicious spinach and artichoke dip. It’s the perfect ooey, gooey deliciousness to be part of your vegetarian Thanksgiving celebration, or just because you love great dip.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Ingredients
1 small box frozen spinach
Approx. 6 ounces cream cheese (most of an 8 oz. container)
Most of an 8 oz. bag of shredded mozzarella cheese (add more if you prefer more cheese than spinach)
1/2 can or entire small jar of artichoke hearts
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 stick butter
Instructions for this Thanksgiving Recipe
1. Thaw and drain the spinach. To get all the water out, take a handful of thawed spinach and squeeze it over a bowl or sink. Add the drained spinach to a medium- to large-sized mixing bowl.
2. Set the package of cream cheese out at room temperature so that it can soften a bit for easier mixing while you’re preparing the artichokes and garlic/butter mixture.
3. Prepare the artichoke hearts by rinsing off the oil, if you like, and cutting them into nickle-sized pieces, or whatever size you prefer. Keep in mind your guests are going to eat this dip on a chip or cracker so you don’t want the pieces too large to eat neatly. You don’t want to have to clean up chunks of cheesy spinach and artichoke dip off of your floor after Thanksgiving!
4. Mince the garlic, unless you’re using minced garlic from a jar.
5. In your mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, mozzarella and artichoke pieces to the spinach. Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Set aside.
6. Melt the butter in a skillet. Saute the garlic in the butter until the garlic browns just a little and begins to smell good. Take care not to overcook the garlic. It can become too brown and bitter.
7. Pour the hot butter/garlic mixture on top of the spinach and artichoke dip mixture and stir until all the ingredients are blended. The hot butter will melt the cream cheese and mozzarella enough to make it a bit easier to mix.
8. Spread the spinach and artichoke dip mixture into an 8″x8″ glass baking pan (brownie sized) and bake in the oven at 325 degrees F until the cheese melts and the dip is gooey (about 20-25 minutes).
9. Serve with yellow or blue corn tortilla chips or your favorite crackers.
10. Your friends and family will be so impressed with this spinach and artichoke dip recipe that they’ll be asking you for this delicious Thanksgiving recipe, so be sure to bookmark this page!
Other tasty recipes:
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll
Cranberry Nut Bread