A great do-it-yourself centerpiece is the perfect way to save both time and money on your wedding reception. These gorgeous jeweled monogram centerpieces take simple items and turn them into an extraordinary finished project.
For this project, you will need (per centerpiece):
– Square clear glass vase, six inches high (available at craft supply and floral supply stores)
– Hot soapy water
– Paper towels
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in two coordinating color that meet your wedding theme
– Krylon Shortcuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen OR Krylon Metallic Leafing Pen in a contrasting color (silver, white, black, etc.)
– Two six inch wooden circle cutouts
– 1/4 inch thick wooden dowel
– Medium or fine grit sandpaper
– Tack cloth or other soft cloth
– Large typewriter style monogram stencil
– Hirschberg Acrylic Jewels in any color desired (available at craft supply stores)
– Floral Styrofoam block
– Hot glue gun and glue sticks
– Newspaper or a large drop cloth
Wash the six inch high square glass vase with hot soapy water. Rinse and dry the piece with paper towels. Let the vase dry overnight to make sure all the moisture has dried from the surface of the glass. Cover your workspace with newspaper or a large drop cloth. Turn the vase upside down. Spray the outside of the vase with Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Wait an hour before painting the vase with one color of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint that matches your wedding color scheme. Let the vase set for a half an hour before adding a second coat of paint and drying overnight.
Sand each of the two six inch wooden circle cutouts and the wooden dowel with medium grit sandpaper. Prime both sides of the circles and dowel with Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Dry for an hour before painting both sides of the two circles and dowel with two coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in the second color. Allow the circles and dowel to dry for three to four hours.
In the center of each circle, trace the monogram letter from stencil with pencil. (This only needs to be done on one side of each circle.) Paint in the design on each with a Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Pen or a Krylon Leafing Pen. Dry completely.
Apply a bit of hot glue to the back of several Hirschberg Acrylic Jewels. Adhere the jewels around the edge of each circle in a border. Once the glue has cooled, adhere the two circles together with the dowel in the center, using hot glue. Cut a block of florist’s Styrofoam to fit inside the vase. Stick the end of the dowel into the foam and enjoy.